+ Reply to Thread

Question Light stays on regardless of switch position...

I am updating the outlets and light switches in my master bedroom. I just replaced all five outlets with 15 amps. I did notice that the outlets on the outside walls of the house (three outlets total) had 2 black and 2 white wires along with the ground. There were two interior outlets that only had 1 black and 1 white wire along with the ground. I finished replacing all five outlets and decided to flip the breaker to check out work. All of the 5 outlets have electricity flowing to them, but upon flipping the breaker the main ceiling fan light stays on all the time, regardless of the on/off switch position. I have not done any work yet to the light switches in the room, so I am baffled as to why this has happened. There are only three switches in the room- the main ceiling fan and two closets. The closet lights work fine, and can turn off and on with their switches. Any ideas as to why the main ceiling fan light won't turn off? Does it have something to do with those two outlets that only had a single black and white wire? Did I short something out? Any ideas for troubleshooting would be helpful... Thanks!

Cool Re: Light stays on regardless of switch position...

So after I thought about it a little more...I figured it out! One of the outlets was actually on a three-way circuit with the ceiling fan light. By inspecting the old outlets, I noticed that one of them was missing the metal tab connecting the two "hot" wires- indicating a three-way circuit. I just had to find out which outlet it was, and I found it on try number 2! I guess I'll just break the metal tab on the new one or go pick up a specialize three-way outlet at Lowe's. Thanks! Hope this can help someone out in the future.

Default Re: Light stays on regardless of switch position...

That what I was going to say !