+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Paneling - Can you burn?

My Mom's ranch house was built in the 1960s. This awful fake wood paneling in the basement has just been removed. She wants to burn the paneling in her wood stove. I'm not sure if the paneling has any toxic chemicals. We also don't know what year it was installed.
    Does anyone have advice for me?
    Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Old Paneling - Can you burn?

Not a good idea to burn fake stuff in stoves or fireplaces. It might have plastic or other toxic stuff in them. It also tends to burn hot, so it could cause a chimney fire

Burning it would be difficult at best. Cutting it into such small pieces, and since they burn so hot and so quickly, you'd be shoving pieces into the fire faster than you could cut them. Considering all the work to burn it, you'd be better off having a bonfire with the kids.

NOT a good idea! Plywood, especially that from the 60's, is full of formaldehyde and other toxic things that are released when burned. You don't want to breath any of that vapor, nor do you want to pollute the environment with it. Regardless of age, it is never a good idea to burn plywood of any age, due to the glues and chemicals in it. Stick with virgin wood (no finishes of any kind). If you remodel and take a wall out, as long as the lumber isn't pressure treated, you can burn that to your heart's content. But please, don't burn plywood or plastic or other things that really are not suitable for burning.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The formaldehyde would have off-gassed decades ago.

It would be extremely dangerous, primitive and illegal to burn panelings at home or in your yard. Dispose of it safely or re-use it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    It would be extremely dangerous, primitive and illegal to burn panelings at home or in your yard. Dispose of it safely or re-use it.
    Now you make my want to burn some old panelling. Let me find some old lead paint covered pressure treated wood to throw on the fire and we can have a weenie roast.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Now you make my want to burn some old panelling. Let me find some old lead paint covered pressure treated wood to throw on the fire and we can have a weenie roast.
    Only if we get to use oleander boughs for the weenies. Oh, oh! Don't forget the marshmallows!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Be sure to use old pesticides from the shed out back to get the fire started

I have a small bottle of diazinon, a left over from a job I did in the EIGHTIES. Can I bring it to the party?