+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint formica countertops??

In my 1880s cottage, formica countertops were installed probably 20 years ago. We are planning a major kitchen renovation in a couple of years, so don't want to invest in replacing them right now. I see that Rust-Oleum now has a product for painting Formica.
    I am wondering how complicated this process is, and how good the finish looks. The current color is dark green, so covering is a also a concern.
    If any one has experience with this product, I'd like to hear how it went.

Also, I am looking for any other relatively inexpensive solutions that will also look nice for little while.

Thanks.

Default Re: Paint formica countertops??

I have not seen nor used the product, but how bad can it be? At worst you'll have wasted some money and be right back where you started.

If in doubt, every time you see the green counters, think of the green you are saving.

There are Youtube videos from Rustoleum, like this one.

I just don't like the idea of cutting foods over a painted surface.

Hello,
    My husband and I are planning a complete reno of our 1970's style kitchen in a few years. For the mean time we are using the rustoleum kitchen transformation kits. We have bought the counter kit, but have not used it yet. I researched it and found that many people gave it a five star review! We are using the Cabinet kit on our laminate cabinets over the long weekend and then plan on doing the counters, so I will let you know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by salvadorsPainting View Post
    i would use enamel paint for countertops
    This is NOT safe unless the paint is specifically listed as being food-safe for the intended purpose. Being food-safe for walls doesn't mean it is suitable for counter-tops. All countertop finishes have to be tested and approved for that specific purpose- poisoning is not something you want in your future plans

Phil