+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Casing around un-plumb door

I bought an 1865 Second Empire filled with large period trim, except around the front door which is tiny, featureless junk from the 70s or 80s. The door assembly has wood panels on both sides and a glass panel at the top, so the entire unit is almost 9'x6', maybe it was a replacement for a double door? Maybe in the 20s or meant to look like it? Half the porch looks period and the other half looks Craftsman... Anyway, I found appropriate trim and tore the ugly stuff off only to find the door leans in, a lot. It's about flush with the wall at the top, but a the bottom the door frame it sunk least 1/2 inch into the wall, maybe 3/4. The wall is pretty much plumb, but the door frame is WAY off.

Now what? Do I cut a 9 foot long sliver of wood to fill the gap and hope no one notices? Do I dare try to remove and re-install the door which would require pulling up some of the wood floor as well and likely make the fiance unhappy? I don't think putting in the trim at a crazy angle would look good.

Every frame in the house has a bead detail, then a victorian piece of trim, then an ogee back bead. If I made a wedge of wood it would be between the trim and the bead detail, and I fear obvious.

Default Re: Casing around un-plumb door

Unfortunately working with crap ends up looking like crap. I would suggest removing the unit and reinstalling it properly.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That may not be an option. I just checked the outside of the house and the door is flush, so I checked if it was plumb and the entire exterior wall is leaning inward part of an inch. I guess the installer had to pick one side to be flush with and went with the outside? But how the heck is the inner wall plumb, that means it's wider at the base....?!?!

Very confused...

Just a guess, but I would say your level wasn't long enogh.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It was a 4' level and I tried in several places up the wall and casing, but I will double check with a weight and string tonight.

Considering the limitations you have right now, it looks like you have some decisions to make. One option of course is what jlmcdaniel suggested. Another one is to find an experienced finish carpenter near you who might be able to help you.