+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 2nd story or ground extension

It's a lot like doing a contract. You can write your own or download one on the net but a few dollars spent on a lawyer can save a lot more than he cost.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hellojerry,

From what the inspector told you, I see that it would be fairly easy to obtain a permit, following detailed plans from an architect. All the building departments wants (besides additional property tax) is you to follow their guidelines, which is perfectly all right,

From the dimensions you gave, I think you'll get a green light to proceed on an addition to the back of the house.

It will be fun to watch your step by step progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i've done many raising the roof renovations and many additions to houses. it all starts with the architect. you going to need one to get an estimate from contractors, you're going to need one to pull permits and you're going to need one to build you something that fulfills your wish list.

sit down with a few of them for a free consultation, tell them what you want to do, he can give you ideas. then he will tell you how much his services will cost and he can let you know if it's smarter/more economical to go up or back.
    Do you have a rough idea on how much this should cost? I posted this question on GardenWeb and someone said between $100K-$200K, for an 800 sqft addition, this translates to $250 per sqft. I was thinking more like $120 per sqft (assuming no issues with permits, etc.).

i build in the boston area. prices range from about $190/sq ft to about $300/sq ft, the former being basic living space and the latter having bathrooms or a kitchen. in order to get your cost down to the $125 - $175/ sq ft you'll have to build up and not out

this is not calling a contractor and he shows up tomorrow with a bunch of wood and gets to hammering. prior to the first piece of wood going down you'll have to pay and architect, possibly an engineer, permit fees, excavation, a plumber if this is going to be on slab, foundation and quite possibly some other things. unless you live in a remote area of the midwest where labor is dirt cheap and everyone owns a tractor, i can't see you getting this done for close to $120/sq ft.

$120 a sq ft is an unrealistic, naive expectation, even if you do part of the work yourself.

I just don't want to see you go into a project like this underfunded, run out of money, stop construction and lose everything you already invested, in the first rain storm.

In addition, NJ is known for escalating building costs, where inexpensive contractors are not around to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    $120 a sq ft is an unrealistic, naive expectation, even if you do part of the work yourself.

I just don't want to see you go into a project like this underfunded, run out of money, stop construction and lose everything you already invested, in the first rain storm.

In addition, NJ is known for escalating building costs, where inexpensive contractors are not around to be found.
    I didn't realize that the prices were this different from Northern California. In 2009, builders were only asking around $100 per sqft back in CA and I suppose this was right after the financial crisis. I only have that price as a comp and perhaps $120 is unrealistic as a result. What have costs been for the last few years in the Northeast?

Instead, would anyone know how much it would be to turn the attic into more of a livable space if I used many dormer windows?