+ Reply to Thread

Red face Carpet seam binders on concrete

Could someone give me advice on how to install carpet seam binders on a basement concrete floor? I can't nail them as I would normally on a wood floor so how do you install them?

Many thanks

Default Re: Carpet seam binders on concrete

mamalemen -

Are you talking about the carpet 'tackstrip'??

This conceivably could be fastened down by some product such as liquid nails... But I wouldn't bet on that for stretching a carpet. What year is the house?

Really OLD concrete (50 years say) gets very hard. More newer concrete can fairly easily have a power driven nail driven into it. REMINGTON (and others) make the nails and the tool...

However - Concrete (even when it looks dry) has vapor flowing thru it. Concrete is not water impervious. It is just not damaged by water. If your concrete is in a basement (not a ground level) - the hydroscopic pressure of water in the ground will force water vapor up thru the concrete. Unless your putting in a all weather outdoor carpet - carpet laid on the basement floor direct - along with padding - has an excellent possibility of being damaged. Course various carpet has been glued down onto concrete floors successfully for some time as well...

If you have the room - it is not that hard to rent a concrete drill; and put in 'sleepers' over the concrete. (16" centers)
    You can also insulate between the sleepers using Owen Cornings PolyStyrene insulation. (Pink foam 24" wide) You have to cut that to fit... Over the top of that - (on top of the sleepers) - goes 3/4 plywood (screw it down.) On top of this - you can put many, many types of flooring material. Including carpet. Although in a basement application - solid hardwood flooring is not recommended. (I have sucessfully done so - in a very dry basement...)

A couple of books on flooring - available at many hardware stores - would help you out a lot.

Good Luck.

DS

My commercial carpet installers usually glue seam binders and edgings in place. I couldn't tell you what the glue is, consult with a professional flooring supplier they'd be able to tell you. Big box and retail outlets are worthless when it comes to this sort of thing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have a co2 cartridge nailer from when my husband used to install carpet. It has a lot more force than a regular nailer. You need special nails too. I looked for a brand but the info is worn off, I can't find any of the nails either so I can't give you that information. I called my Brother in law, and my husband neither are answering their phones since they are at work this gloomy Saturday morning.

Ask a carpet store if they loan a tool like this out, or call the local tool/equipment rental places.

I have this gnawing feeling I should also mention those nailers come in models that use firing caps too.

Which ever you choose, Be Careful with them.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thank you to you all for your excellent advice. The carpet is already down and I want to put the strip across the joint between the carpet and the hardwood floor. I have the metal strips but wasn't sure how to attach them. Your responses have helped tremendously.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamalemen View Post
    Thank you to you all for your excellent advice. The carpet is already down and I want to put the strip across the joint between the carpet and the hardwood floor. I have the metal strips but wasn't sure how to attach them. Your responses have helped tremendously.

Many thanks
    Then in this instance I'd drill holes in the concrete and install lead or plastic inserts for the nails/screws of the transition strip to grab into. Cut and position the transition strip, then mark the holes, remove the strip, drill holes, install inserts, reinstall the transition strip and fasteners.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mamalemen View Post

Many thanks
    Generally, hardwood is higher than the substrate the carpet is installed on. You should be able to lay tackless along the hardwood, leaving a small gap the carpet gets tucked into. Stretch the carpet over the tackless, trim the carpet and tuck it in with a stair tool (looks like a big chrome chisel, only really dull so as not to cut the carpet when you tuck).

You might have to install a hardwood transition trim. They come in a variety of shapes and finishes, or you can even make your own. This can be used to finish the edge of the hardwood and provide the edge you need to tuck the carpet into. If your carpet is glued down, you can use a transition that overlaps the edge of the carpet. Secure the trim to the hardwood with glue or nails.

For those who aren't aware, tackless strip is also made with pre-nailed concrete nails. You may have to add more concrete "stubbies" to to pieces that have loose spots or the original nails blew the concrete out. There are also several adhesives that come in tubes that work quite well for stretch-in carpet. Another product called Kool Stics (yes, that is the way it is spelled), which is a urethane based glue stick you can buy at flooring supplies distributors. Those are very easy to use (who doesn't have a glue gun) and the manufacturer claims you can stretch carpet off tackless adhered with it. Setting time is less than 2 hours.

R'gards,

Jim