+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Repair a hole in a hollow core door

I have a hollow core door that my daughters "puppy" to a hole in. The hole is approx. 6 X inches. I have a product called Rock Hard. Will this work to repair the hole????

Default Re: Repair a hole in a hollow core door

Take what you are paid per hour of employment, multiply that number by a minimum of 4 hours, what is the total? On top of that, you're going to have a crappy looking door patch that is likely going to crack due to movement through normal use of the door.

A new hollow core slab will set you back maybe $40, in less than an hour, you can have it installed and be done with the whole thing.

My vote is to do it right, replace the slab and be done with it. Way easier and cheaper in the long run.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ditto to Spruce's post.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Have the puppy trained, or you'll have a lot more fixing to do.

6" hole on a hollow door is too large to fix to make it look like "new".

While i agree with the others i will add that you really want a project to do, it depends on the finish. If its painted to a smooth finish then you have a chance. Using a sharp utility knife cut out the damaged area, fit some blocking into the hollow part so it overlaps the new opening around each edge and screw it in place using short screws. Glue and screw a new patch on top and use wood filler to sand it smooth. Its a tedious process but if you're like me and invite a challenge then go for it.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dcalabro View Post
    While i agree with the others i will add that you really want a project to do, it depends on the finish. If its painted to a smooth finish then you have a chance. Using a sharp utility knife cut out the damaged area, fit some blocking into the hollow part so it overlaps the new opening around each edge and screw it in place using short screws. Glue and screw a new patch on top and use wood filler to sand it smooth. Its a tedious process but if you're like me and invite a challenge then go for it.
    That's the right way of doing it.

I just filled a hole in a hollow interior door in a remodel job, it was 2" wide. However, a 6" wide hole is too large and too time consuming to mess with.