+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Remove Rust From Tools

I live in Florida and the humidity will rust everything. How can I remove rust from my older tools? One oldtimer told me to soak them in Kerosene. He did have some great looking old tools.

Default Re: Remove Rust From Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Hard2fit99 View Post
    I live in Florida and the humidity will rust everything. How can I remove rust from my older tools? One oldtimer told me to soak them in Kerosene. He did have some great looking old tools.

WD40 or Marvel Mystery oil.....I know they're not ideal rust remover but try it, it does work.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Wink Re: Remove Rust From Tools

Go to Rockler.com and the products you want are Boeshield 3 pack kit. Bottle #1: rust and stain remover,8.45oz.. Bottle #2: gum and pitch, resin remover, 8.45 oz.. Bottle #3: T-9 rust and corrosion protection/waterproof/lubrication. These are excellent products, I used rust remover on the base of a floor standing drill press (15 Yrs. old) and it cleaned the rust off with little to no effort, looks like new. I used the T-9 on my table top on my table saw (no heat in my garage) not a spec of rust on it after the winter months. Try these and you won't be disappointed.

Calcats
    Last edited by calcats; 05-09-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Remembered the product names

I second the Boeshield 3 pack kit.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I collect vintage hand tools and use "Evapo Rust" on everything. It is non-acidic and I usually don't wear any kind of gloves when I use it. There are a lot of other good reviews about this stuff on other tool forums.

After I remove the rust, I use Boeshield lubricant (in the aerosol can) for maintenance and to prevent future rust.

There is a penetrating oil called KROIL . Try it . You'll wonder where it's been all your life .