+ Reply to Thread

Default overmount vs underlay kitchen sinks

I have a gallery shaped kitchen and 24ft of quartz countertop being installed. What are the pros and cons of an over mount vs an underlay kitchen sink?

Default Re: overmount vs underlay kitchen sinks

Over Mount -
    Doesn't quite look as pretty, has more size options, probably easier for your installer to put in, definately easier to replace

Under Mount -
    BACTERIA! The gap between sink and counter, even when caulked, is a haven for bacteria and mildew growth, the only way to dodge this is to go one piece corian counter and sink combo -
    Looks better (to me), you can sweep crumbs directly into it, you can make drip rails in the counter to feed into it
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Over mounting - Designer fad, water jumps out of a sink not back in, harder to clean the counter tops into the sink.

Undermount - Cleaner look, easier cleaning of sink and counter tops

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    Under Mount -
    BACTERIA! The gap between sink and counter
    No more bacteria on an under mount than an over mount, they both have the same wet seam to collect debris and bacteria, and in all honesty, the kitchen sponge/rag is as bad or worse than anything found in the sink in most homes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One other aspect of under-mounts is that unless they are installed correctly they can fall while a drop-in can't. I've seen this happen twice now, both were done with epoxy being expected to do the holding and both happened with "professional" installers. Luckily, with the one where the plumbing was hooked up the homeowner was there and got the water turned off quickly- the first hadn't been in place a single day in a new install so no plumbing got hurt. Seeing that this doesn't always happen, perhaps these were the installer doing something wrong. All I know is that what can't happen won't happen and with styles and finishes ever changing, the idea of having a sink you can easily change for something newer has some merit to it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    All I know is that what can't happen won't happen and with styles and finishes ever changing, the idea of having a sink you can easily change for something newer has some merit to it.

Phil
    One thing that just occurred to me is that the OP didn't say what type of sink they had in mind, type meaning enameled steel/cast iron, stainless, etc. When I hear "top mount", I always go to the heavy cast, self rimming sinks that stand 1" proud of the counter top, and I hate these with a passion, as I said, water jumps OUT of sinks, it can't jump back in. The thing is, technically, a stainless self rimming is also a top mount, but is virtually flush with the counter's surface. Another example would be a cast sink that is mounted with a trim ring, also virtually flush to the counter's surface, also technically a top mount.

IMHO, if you go with an under mounted sink, especially a heavy cast style, the sink needs to be supported by the cabinet/sub-counter top, this way the weight isn't being held by caulking. It also prevents the failures that Phil just mentioned.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Tales of undermount woe

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Another example would be a cast sink that is mounted with a trim ring, also virtually flush to the counter's surface, also technically a top mount.
    Maybe technically, but when things go wrong the sink still falls down. One cold night at home in a very run down old mill house which I was buying, my enjoyment of the TV in the only heated room was brought to a halt by a loud crash from the kitchen and the sound of spraying water. This type of mount had failed on me, having been totally flush with the trim ring beforehand. I rushed outside to turn the water off at the meter as the old house had no service stops or main cut-off. I mopped up as best I could and figured I'd fix it the next evening. With the sagging cabinet bottom still puddled the next day, I tried to move the sink- no luck. Did I forget to mention that it was a deep heavy cast iron double sink? Sorry for that. It was all I could do to lift it and work my way underneath it so I could put it back with the four usable clips that were left after it fell. A three hour job in my unheated kitchen soaking wet after a hard day's work using every bit of strength I had to get it back in and fastened by myself. Finally I walked away gingerly and bought more clips the next day. You wanna hear about the fun I had with the old galvanized pipes too? I didn't think so....

So while technically a flush mount, these are still under-mounts and you'd better fasten them with enough clips accordingly. Then add some more clips just in case. Please, you really need them.

Phil

You used silicone, didn't you Phil?

I've got plenty of plumbing war stories too, definitely NOT one of my favorite things to do. This is why I've got subs in all trades, when I don't want to do something or get in over my head, I've got back-up.

I've seen a few undermount heavy sinks that went down. Not a pretty sight.

When under mount first came out the manufacturers told us to us epoxy glue. then about a year later the epoxy started to let go as experienced by the previous comments. After that i remember talk to a sink rep that advised all plumbers to use epoxy glue with a good dap of silicone in each corner of the sink. this i did and did not have any trouble after that.