+ Reply to Thread

Question Heat pump on my water heater. Should I turn it off in winter to save heat?

My water heater has a heat pump on it. My house is heated by a force hot air propane furnace. It is in my cellar and it gets really cold down there from the cold air blowing from the heat pump. Should I change it to regular hot water to save on propane. When my heat comes on it blows really cold air first. The duct work is the cellar is always freezing.

Default Re: Heat pump on my water heater. Should I turn it off in winter to save heat?

I was watching on Ask this old house when they put one on they said it works like an air conditioner. but instead of dumping the heat outside it puts it in the water. Does this mean I am air conditioning my cellar ie my house? because a lot of cold air comes out

Default Re: Heat pump on my water heater. Should I turn it off in winter to save heat?

Yes. A/C in the summer as well as winter

I don't know much about the heat pump water heaters, but does it have an option to disable the heat pump and used another heat source such as electric elements?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

It has 4 options, 1 only heat pump, 1 heat pump and regular element, 1 just regular element, and 1 high demand. I been using a lot of propane to heat my house since I started using heat pump. It is great in summer but I think it is air conditioning my house in the winter. I don't think the water heating saving out weighs how much I am paying for heat. I just saw them install one on ASK THIS OLD HOUSE but didn't mention what to do in winter.