+ Reply to Thread

Default What is this rail in the butler's pantry?

Greetings-There is a pantry with open shelves between the kitchen and living room of my 1881 house. The lowest shelf is 36" off the floor. There is a rail made of a 1 x 4 running under the shelves. It is attached to the shelf supports so that it is about at a 45 degree angle from vertical.

Here is a link to a photo: http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc555176.jpg

Question: What would this originally have been used for? I would think for drying dishcloths, but there is no water source in the pantry. Did they hang storage containers from it? Tether pigs to it? Or what?

Thank you.

Default Re: What is this rail in the butler's pantry?

It looks like a platter rack. Platter are sliped in behind the cross piece and stand on the edges.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It looks like a platter rack. Platter are sliped in behind the cross piece and stand on the edges.

Jack
    Thanks Jack, but the rail doesn't touch the wall. I guess that isn't clear from the photo. There's about a 4 inch gap between the wall and the rail-- I think a platter would fall through.

Right, the platters or trays were slipped up behind the rail and sat in the shelf leaning forward against the rail.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb