+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ceiling light advice

Hi -
    replacing a kitchen ceiling fixture with pendant lights. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see the previous fixture removed so have no idea how they wired it.

The lights are controlled by two Crestron switches that control multiple zones of lights and window shades.

The new fixture has three pendants that go into a large plate. Assume I simply twist the hot, neutral and grounds of each together to create "three" wires.

My problem is what's coming out of the ceiling box. There are two lines and the first has a hot (black) and neutral (white). The other has black, white and red which I assume is another hot wire.

Not sure how to proceed with that red.

Will pics help or is it clear?

Thanks.

Default Re: Ceiling light advice

it sounds like it is wired for a 3 way switch the 2 wire is the hot feed and the 3 wire goes to one of the switches then there is 3 wire run between the switches. but there is no way to know without tracing the wires. I have a traces I got from lowes for 25 bucks that works great for this. you clip one part to the wires in the box and the other to the wires in the switch box and it tells you if you have the other end of the same wire. it is just a continuity tester but it is very convenient. but if you don't know what you are doing at all you should really have an electrician look at it

Yes, it is a three way switch. Sorry, thought I mentioned that.

Hate to pay an electrician for something I should be able to figure out myself. It's five wires - there are only so many options.

unhook all the switches trace the wires then look up a 3 way switch wiring diagram that fits your situation and follow it

There you have me.

The main controller has six dimmer switches for lights and four for blinds. Not comfortable with taking that apart.

Was hoping this was a common configuration.

Little follow up.

I checked it out and the red wire is hot as well as the two blacks. I disconnected all the wires and ran power back up. It seems the counter lights are connected through this box as they didn't fire up. As the counter lights work when the two blacks and two whites are connected, I'm wondering if that red is even needed for this fixture.

I visited the Crestron website and it looks like a whole-house automation system and could be very complicated.

Even a seasoned electrician may not be able to help you without good documentation.

Can you upload more system info?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Hi - don't really have that info. I purchased the place as is. The painter removed the previous light when I was out and capped off the wires in their present state - black to black, white to white, red alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nick212 View Post
    Hi - don't really have that info. I purchased the place as is. The painter removed the previous light when I was out and capped off the wires in their present state - black to black, white to white, red alone.
    Many loads on automated systems don't require a dedicated switched conductor. They have a module within the appliance, light etc. that receives the on-off-dim signal over the power line.

All you may need to do is contact the manufacturer and get a programming manual. The red lead IMO should remain capped off.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks, SRE. Will check with manufacturer.

I'm also thinking the red should remain capped. Not sure why it's there.