+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Ok to bend black gas pipe?

Hello,
    I am in the process of remodeling a second floor bathroom in my house. It's an old house. There was no heat in the bathroom before, so I plan to add a small wall-mounted gas heater. I have run black gas pipe down from the bathroom, along the stack in a corner wall, and into the basement where I'll tie it into an existing gas line. It was hard to get the pipe to come out into the basement. I ended up (intentionally) bending a 45* angle about 8-10" up from the end of the pipe so the very end of it would poke out from inside the wall into the basement where I could see it and get a hold of it.

I'm happy with how running the pipe has turned out; I don't feel there is any issue there. I have just got to wondering if it was ok that I bent the pipe. Is there any issue/concern with bending black gas pipe? It's 1/2" pipe. It was hard to bend; it seems pretty stout. It is all indoors - along the basement ceiling, inside the wall, and in the bathroom floor.

Thanks,
    Josh

Default Re: Ok to bend black gas pipe?

First, any addition to gas lines must be be permitted, inspected, tested and signed off.

Did you do that?

Your inspector will most likely disapprove a 45 degree bend in your rigid black pipe. Instead, he'll tell you to use ells and 45s.

Don't take gas lines lightly. Best to call a lic plumber. No kidding.

I was just wondering if there was any legitimate safety concerns with bending the pipe. This isn't the first gas line I've run.

Thanks

One very simple reason; handling and tightening gas pipe is a serious workout. If you bend a pipe to install it and there is a leak later, there usually isn't any way to spin the bent pipe to tighten or repair.

follow dj's advice to the letter......gas + permit = safety and insurance coverage in case of an accident......gas + DIYer = potential disaster and no insurance coverage should something happen

and i'm quite confident that your bent pipe will get you a fail on the inspection

Maybe I will replace the bent section then. Thanks