Default Bryant furnace not staying lit

It's -38 here in northern Ohio! I have a older Bryant furnace (40 years old or so) I can get the pilot lit, then I turn on the gas valve to on, and turn on the power to the furnace, the furnace will light the burners but after a few seconds I hear a pop in the control valve and the gas is shut off and everything goes out including the pilot. Now I did have to have the control valve replaced a couple years ago, it has a dual valve standing pilot control valve in it. Hope someone has an idea .. THANKS!

Default Re: Bryant furnace not staying lit

A 40 year old Bryant furnace?

If I had one like this, I'd replace it without hesitation, not dump good money in it trying to fix it.

But if you insist on fixing it, there could be a few things wrong with it. Start with the gas valve.

FYI, working with gas is not for DIYers. Get an appliance repairman.

turns out the thermocoupler needed adjustment. The flame wasn't hitting it good enough. Thanks for the suggestions

Good, I hope that your problem is solved.

Often the need to bend the thermocouple closer to the flame is a sign of it going bad. Essentially they are just a tube filled with gas under pressure which transfers heat to the regulator. When the gas pressure drops it takes more heat to transfer enough heat to the end. That gas under pressure will leak down over time which is the usual culprit, so I'd be planning on a replacement the next time you have the unit regularly serviced as a trouble-prevention measure. The part is cheap, and since the serviceman will be there already then it's money well spent.

Phil