+ Reply to Thread

Default New flange and lead pipe

Hello,

I removed the toilet in this bathroom because it kept rocking, and found that the flange was bent and worn. The flange was not bolted down, and there were lumps of grout underneath it. The only thing keeping the flange held down is what seems like a lead pipe. There was also a black plastic piece on top, which I was able to pop off with a screw driver. I removed the flange and grout with a cold chisel, but now I'm wondering how to repair all of it. The subfloor is concrete, with a tile floor.

Do I buy a similar flange (iron?), and how do I bolt it to the floor? Also, is the lead pipe supposed to be hammered on top of the flange, and what is the black plastic piece for?

Here are some pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/rwJoAgY.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/qM1DPA3.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/bYvLRhE.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: New flange and lead pipe

This is a job for a real pro plumber. Do not do this your self. this entails the following .
    Cut off the toilet lead stub a the floor lever.
    Clean the inside of the lead stub 100% for soldering.
    Buy a repair lead stub and clean the out side of the new lead stub. 3x4x12
    Cover the inside of the old lead and the outside of the new lead stub with paste.
    put the new lead stub in the old stub and hit it this a small sledge hammer forcing the the new inside the old.
    then very carefully solder the two lead stubs together. 50 -50 solder only
    Then cut the new lead stub about 1 1/2 above the floor.
    Slide a brass floor flange with toilet bolts over the toilet stub.
    Screw down the flange and hammer into place the lead.
    Install toilet.

if you are not a pro do not attempt this you will over heat the lead stubs and melt holes in it or burn the house down or screw up the new lead stub.

I'd install one of these toilet flanges that has a built in rubber gasket. If you cannot locate one with a stainless steel flange, add a stainless flange to the top. Bolt the flange to the floor, the toilet to the flange.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I'd install one of these toilet flanges that has a built in rubber gasket. If you cannot locate one with a stainless steel flange, add a stainless flange to the top. Bolt the flange to the floor, the toilet to the flange.
    That flange will never seal inside a lead pipe. The pipe will deform long before the gasket compresses. Like stated in the previous post the lead needs to be cleaned and extended. It was a very common repair 50 years ago. I have done many.
    John

Do yourself a favor and hire a plumber for this particular job. It will be money well spent.

BTW, welcome back John.
    And Bill, welcome to this forum.

Thanks for the replies. I'll call a plumber for this.