+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cracks in wooden table top

Hello--I purchased a wooden table that is essentially a puzzle piece table with various planks of wood glued together. A few days after receiving this table, which looked very nice, cracks starting developing and continue to grow. Two pieces are separating from the table and are no longer even as they once were.

The maker claims that this is normal, and he attributes it to the change in climate between his shop and my place, which is in the NE. I personally don't think that it's normal to develop cracks like this in a matter of days when it's brand new. I notice new cracks or worsening ones everyday; the crack in the photo extends across the entire table, width wise. I feel like the craftsmanship is lacking, and they didn't build it to accommodate any wood movement whatsoever. Am I wrong here? Thanks for any help
    Last edited by fracks3; 01-07-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: Cracks in wooden table top

I would need to see the pictures to give a sound assessment, but it may be that the wood was not properly dried and finished.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You are right. The manufacturer is trying to brush you off.

What can you do now? Try to get an exchange or a refund.

Did you use a credit card to purchase the table? Call your bank and see if they can help you if the mfg balks.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I was trying to attach pictures, but they keep rejecting my pics (size, I guess?). I'll keep trying...

Yeah, I cannot figure out how to post a picture. I already sized it down to fit their jpeg specifications, but it refuses to upload it. Grrrr...

Upload to a photo sharing site like photobucket and post a link, it will save you frustration.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Without seeing a photo I will say that a new wood table should not have cracks in it. Was it sealed with oil or a solid finish? I agree with Jack's accessment that the wood wasn't properly dried before it was made. What kind of wood is it made from.

Okay, thanks a lot for the suggestion--works a lot better. Here's a [link] with a couple of pictures.

It's made from different types of reclaimed wood; I believe species like oak, cherry, wormy maple, etc. Looked really great until it started cracking all over the place. Posted a link to pics in a previous reply, so should be coming through soon.

I would love to see how it is fastened down to the frame. I suspect it was not connected to allow for expansion and contraction. There also seems to be a lot of movement which suggests the wood was not properly dried. I would say amateur work at best.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb