+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: toilet runs occasionally

There are other reasons why a toilet will run on occasionally. Sometimes there is an issue with the chain, it will get a kink in it or it gets too long and gets caught under the flapper, but with those, if you jiggle the handle, the leaking stops. The plastic jug you put in there can also interfere with the flapper. I would suggest that you remove it and use a brick instead. Use something that is heavy and will stay in place.

If the plumber just replaced the flapper and not the whole assembly, or even in some cases where the whole assembly is replaced, the flapper hinge could have ridden up the overflow pipe. sometimes the flapper is attached tot he overflow pipe with a hole in the rubber, fits like a sleeve and the sleeve might need to be lowered a little.

Flappers usually come with a ring to go around the overflow tube. However, some overflow tubes have built-in posts to hook the flapper onto. If you just slide the flapper with its own ring on, it can end up being placed too high and the flapper doesn't seat properly. If this is the case, remove the ring and attache the flapper to the built-in posts.

As for the water level in the tank, it needs to be at the proper level to provide adequate flushing. If there isn't a "water level" mark, it should be about 1" below the top of the overflow (unless the flapper seat and overflow were replaced without properly trimming the overflow). Placing a jar or brick in the tank may save water, but it can also negatively affect performance.

It probably wasn't a plumber that repaired the toilet, but the landowner's own maintenance person or handyman. At the prices plumbers charge, they probably would have been better off replacing the whole toilet than call a plumber several times to fix an old one!
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thank you all for all the replies. They are all helpful. I will look into them all.

It actually was a plumber who did all the work. I just don't think he does good work. (But I don't dare tell him as he's abit of a bully, and I'm not paying for it so I just keep quiet.)

I may just let the toilet run. Not much I can do. If it gets worse, I'll let my landlady know. She pays for the water as well. (I don't like to waste it though.)

"I may just let the toilet run. Not much I can do. If it gets worse, I'll let my landlady know. She pays for the water as well. (I don't like to waste it though.)"

Do me a favor and report the leak to your landlady now.

With the drought we're having, they should make wasting water a crime. I wish we could bring water from Niagara Falls to Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I wish we could bring water from Niagara Falls to Los Angeles.
    Draining Lake Mead, the Colorado River and the Feather River isn't enough?
    Last edited by keith3267; 01-25-2014 at 12:47 AM.