+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Term refering to windows (8 over 1 and 6 over 1)

You always count the lights- all of them. The only exception I know of is stained glass. The variations are referred to by style but I've heard so many different names used that I can't begin to say what anything but a single light or prairie grid style is.

My favorites are the ones with 4 square over 4 rectangular underneath in the upper sash. I've heard it referred to as "Cathedral Style" but I've heard the same term used for similar windows which have arched tops in the lower panes. Those have a real 'W0W" factor but I'd hate to replace any panes in them.

BTW while this thread is hot, how many of you guys prefer the "glazing in a caulking tube" over the "DAP 33" type glazing compounds? I was thinking of that yesterday while I was installing several panes of glass during a light but utterly cold rain The tube stuff would have been much faster but I'm old fashioned.

Phil

Default Re: Term refering to windows (8 over 1 and 6 over 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    BTW while this thread is hot, how many of you guys prefer the "glazing in a caulking tube" over the "DAP 33" type glazing compounds? I was thinking of that yesterday while I was installing several panes of glass during a light but utterly cold rain The tube stuff would have been much faster but I'm old fashioned.

Phil
    I prefer to use silicone . . . <teasing>

I've used both the can and tube style glazing compounds. The can is much messier to work with, but it gets smashed into the nooks and crannies better, which in turn, is a better finished product. You've just got really smudge and smeared windows when you're done.

The tube style is MUCH easier to apply, much cleaner, but tends to pull, rather than leaving a nice clean bead. I've always followed behind with a putty knife to press it into place a bit better and to smooth it out. It doesn't leave much of a mess behind on the glass when you're done either. With enough practice, the pulling issue will probably cease.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!