+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone else here unhappy with a NEST thermostat?

It's a CO detector, not CO2, and the gas is generally a result of incomplete combustion so it should be warmer than the ambient air.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    They are pushing a new product now, a wifi smoke/CO2 detector. They show it on a ceiling, but CO2 is heavier that air, do they know that?
    It's a CO (carbon monoxide), not CO2 (carbon dioxide) detector. CO disperses rapidly through the air so it doesn't really matter where the detector is. I did quite a bit of research when I bought a CO detector, because I wanted to know for sure if it should be near the floor, the ceiling, or somewhere else for ideal exposure.

But yes, CO2 is denser than air, so tends to sink. But CO2 isn't as harmful as CO. Where your blood will readily release CO2 in exchange for oxygen and other gases found in air, CO is readily absorbed by the blood but not easily released. That's what makes it especially dangerous.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-13-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

These gadgets are technology run amuck. Just because ittis possible to do something, doesn't mean it is neccessary to do it!

I was walking through a "big box" store the other day and saw an electronic egg tray for your refrigerator that can tell you from a remote location if you need eggs! OK, maybe someone is having egg withdrawal and needs to know if eggs await them at home, but most common folk just open the door now and then to see what is in there! And this gadget was listed for $70! $70 would buy most of my eggs for the whole year!

My favorite perversion is when car radios went to all touch buttons for control functions a few years back. Now instead of reaching over and simply turning a knob to alter the volumn, I now had to take my eyes off the road and look for a particular touch button and hold my finger on it while it adjusted the volumn! Fortuantely, several manufacturers have gone back to basic manual controls.

Still worse are some of the new cars that integrate general car control functions with the video screen on the dash. And the government wants to fine you for driving while using your cell phone? Seems to me, these "smartscreens" are at least as dangerous, especially if you are not in a familiar car you have borrowed or rented.

How many of us here have sat and read through the 70 page manual that came with the new cell phone, not to mention a "smart phone"! You are lucky if it came with a printed guide book, mostly now-a-days you have to download it and print it out yourself!
    Last edited by ordjen; 01-13-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    How many of us here have sat and read through the 70 page manual that came with the new cell phone, not to mention a "smart phone"! You are lucky if it came with a printed guide book, mostly now-a-days you have to download it and print it out yourself!
    Who reads the manual? That would be like stopping to ask for directions.

I don't need no stinkin' directions, I got my GPS! I must admit though, the Garmin GPS is about as intuitive as any electronic gadget I have owned. However, I have occasionally found errors in the instrctions. It gets you there eventually, but not always in the most logical route. It still helps to generally know the area.

My GPS is ancient, back from the days when GPS meant "Goes Places Sometimes". It will get you there but if you know that area you can often do better than it does.

Back on topic, I see that Google just bought NEST, so I expect more proliferation of different devices whose usefulness is lesser than their technological appeal. The thing here is sales, the basis for any company's existence. Just like smart-phones, which almost nobody needs but almost everyone has, the 'flash' appeal will over-ride common sense and get people to buy their products. Google will be sure there's enough ads to cause this to happen. In the tech field, Google is becoming a lot like Exxon is in it's field, so soon there's not going to be a whole lot of others to choose from.

What would make more sense is a WiFi thermostat that interfaces with an app on your smartphone that uses GPS to detect when you are approaching home and turn up the heat for you before you get there.

You could also have a smart implant placed in your head, and based on your motions, internal body temperature, and other parameters the thermostat would automatically adjust without you even having to think about it. Doing jazzercise? Automatically turns on the AC. Reading a book in the easy chair? Turn up the heat.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I've often questioned how smart the new 'smart technology' truly is. And yesterday I discovered that the hackers of the world had gotten into a 'smart' refrigerator system causing it to generate 750K spam-mails. Also saw where most ATM's use an XP-based OS, which is going to lose MS support and become very vulnerable to the bad guys in April. As more and more people get these 'smart' systems and the bad guys seek more ways to have their 'fun' it's not going to be long before they start playing with your 'smart' devices.

I can see it now- a techie goes home from work but the garage door won't open. The front door keypad doesn't work and he was too 'smart' to keep carrying the no-longer-needed key. He remembers the window he didn't lock yesterday so shutting the alarm off with his Iphone, he crawls inside. The house is super-hot, the 'smart' thermostat maxxed out so he tries to reset it as the sweat begins pouring. It won't reset- and it doesn't have a manual "on/off switch" being too smart to need that. He starts opening windows to reduce the temp to something less tropical. That done, he heads to the fridge for a now much needed cold beer. But the beer and everything in the 'smart' fridge is frozen solid. Going nuts he decides a glass of cold water will do but nothing flows from any faucet. Down in the basement the 'smart' whole-house filtering system has shut down. It's control panel says 'call for service'. He tries the Iphone to call the service number but it isn't doing anything and all he gets is a screen-full of "X"s no matter what he tries. He decides that enough is enough- he's going back to the office and deal with it from there where there's water, a working land-line phone and a comfortable building. Out the door and click the car's unlock button. It's alarm system starts going off and he can't stop it. He's trying the keypad on the car door to get inside so he can unlock the hood and disconnect the battery, just as the police show up, who were alerted to the "burglar" by his house's 'smart' alarm system, just as he remembers that he left his wallet (with his ID) in the car. After being booked and spending a couple hours in the holding cell downtown with all the drunks, his wife arrives and gets him out. He tells here to just stop at the hotel, the house is useless and unlivable until he can get everything serviced on Monday, since at this hour on a Friday night, it's too late to get anyone out to fix everything before then. She's sympathetic- she thought the 'smart systems' were a good idea too. At the desk, their credit cards are denied because they were used to pay for purchase and the monitoring of all the 'smart' stuff, and the hackers used their 'smart' systems to get their credit card numbers and PIN's and bank's automated 'smart' system has now locked their accounts to protect them from harm

Impossible fiction? Not at all- every part of this fictional story is possible, and with the rise some people get these days by hacking systems, it's going to happen someday. My point is that it didn't have to, and that none of the 'smart' technology mentioned is necessary for most people's lives. To have all the 'smart' goodies mentioned cost as much a the alleged savings it brought, none of it increased security or safety, and now there's going to be a lot of service calls to pay for out of pocket since hacked systems aren't covered under warranties. Sure, it can all be set right, but at what real cost to one's happiness? And it could and will happen again, so how "smart" is it, really? Not smart at all.

The bottom line is that you don't need anything to do your thinking for you and if you do, then you will deserve what you get when you disagree with how it thinks. Keep It Simple, Stupid

Phil

I've been very happy with it, but I regularly use an iPhone and iPad! Seems like the naysayers are mostly techno-phobes. If you don't like new technology innovations like mobile apps and such, you will not like this thermostat (but that seems to go without saying...). I won't recommend this to my 75 year old dad who doesn't use a smart phone...

Our old 'simple' thermometer was a pain in the neck to program, and we were always forgetting to turn it down at night & off when we went away. No such problems with nest because it does it for you!

That said, the worst feature is the 'Auto Away' - I wish you could make the time away longer (I think it defaults to 4 hours). I work in an office on my 3rd floor, and the NEST is on the first floor, so it's often going to 'Away'. however, since I can control it from my iphone, it's really not an issue. I just check the phone every once in a while to make sure 'Auto Away' hasn't kicked in.

You can very easily turn 'Auto Away' off completely if you want. In the iphone app, click on the image of the thermometer (the circle with the temperature written inside), swipe to the side, then click on 'Nest Sense.' the first option is to turn Auto-Away on or off, the second is to turn the learning mode on or off. You under 'Thermostat settings' you can also change the 'Away' minimum temperature (Away Temperature).

Well I got another technological bite on the rear this week. It was my Samsung refrigerator. I did not buy the model with a computer in it, but guess what, it has one.

The alarm went off, I noticed that the refrigerator section temp was rising so i thought that was the problem. I pulled it out from the wall and removed the back cover, cleaned out all the dust from the coils, but the alarm kept going off. I pulled out the junction box to see if any wires were loose or a switch was broken. When I opened the junction box, it was full of microchips on a PCB.

No loose wires so I put the box back in and cleaned out around the refrigerator and put it back, but the alarm was still going off and the temp was still rising. I opened the door to check all the seals, all good. Then I checked the door switch, but the light did not go off. The alarm was telling me door ajar. It seems that when the computer detects door ajar, it shuts off the cooling to the refrigerator section, though the freezer continued to work.

I pulled the switch out and disconnected it. In no time, the temp went back to normal. The new switch arrived yesterday and everything is back to normal.