+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else here unhappy with a NEST thermostat?

I bought one for my daughter and installed it in her new house. She is NOT happy with it. Yes it looks cool and it is pretty easy to program, though time consuming. The problem is the learning mode. We haven't figured out how to turn that off.

The problem with the learning mode is that if you aren't walking back and forth in front of the thing the whole time your home, it thinks your away and turns the heat down. She sits in front of it when watching TV, but because she isn't moving around much, or at least not moving above the top of the chair, she ends up freezing.

She's been reading the operating manual, which is the size of a novel and I'm sure she will eventually find out how to stop the learning mode, but for now, she does not like it. Her house is wired so she does not have a wifi to control it with so that might be part of the problem too. It looks like some controls are only available thru the wifi.

Default Re: Anyone else here unhappy with a NEST thermostat?

Just goes to show that electronics are NOT as great as they're purported to be. Give me an analog dial, switch, or control any day of the week over all this electronic gizmo garbage!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I bet there is some kind of override to keep the temp from dropping.
    I have an older Honeywell programmable thermostat that is fairly easy to program and easy to override. All the instruction inside the cover are enough to operate it even though it has a small manual.
    To much high tech isn't always needed or worth the cost.

For around $25 you can get a mechanical thermostat that most likely will never fail.

These programmable units are designed to fail for one purpose only, and you know what it is.

"If you can't dazzle them with technology...."

Which is the problem here. Perhaps there is something which can be done to make it work the way you want it to, but very few people need anything more than a simple 'set-back' thermostat which is easy to program, easy to over-ride, relatively cheap, and reliable. Why does anyone need a machine to do their thinking for them? If you can't be bothered to figure out what temperature you want it to be no machine is going to be able to help you.

When you get done reading the complex operating manual and still can't figure it out, ask the manufacturer. Or simply go buy something better for your purposes and sell the darn thing.

Phil

One more problem with the Nest;

It has NO battery back up and completely forgets ALL commands after 13 hours. So if you have a power outage you have to start from scratch.

We found this out while remodeling a house where we needed to trip breakers for framing.

After seeing it featured on several TOH episodes, it looked like a good idea. And it is the coolest looking thermostat.

Edit: Their web site isn't organized very well. I asked the question several ways and it always returned 168 answers over 17 pages, not in order of relevance. I finally started sorting through all the answers and found it.

http://support.nest.com/article/How-...ble-thermostat.

It should be titled "How to turn your $275 thermostat into a $75 thermostat."
    Last edited by keith3267; 01-06-2014 at 02:25 PM.

I think all your issues are answered in the first few links: https://www.google.com/search?q=nest+manual+program

I had to turn off the learning mode also, because the thermostat location is in the dining room, and that is the least used room. It was always shutting my heat off. I guess in that way, it did fulfill its promise to save me money on heating costs!

I found the easiest way to program it is through the iOS app. I'm having trouble with my NEST also, but not with the programming. I love having a WiFi thermostat, in hindsight, I probably would have gone with the a cheaper Honeywell version.

I talked her through the procedure to turn off the learning mode the other day, she called me back and said that it did not work. I'll be going down there tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

They are pushing a new product now, a wifi smoke/CO2 detector. They show it on a ceiling, but CO2 is heavier that air, do they know that?