+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Routers

Default Routers

I just watched the episode about routers. Kevin was talking to Roger, who was setting up a computer router for Tommy, and Kevin mentioned that WEP was more secure than WPA for him. I don't see how this is possible, someone can break into a WEP protected network in 5 minutes or less. Someone can also break into a WPA protected network but it takes longer. WPA2 may not be perfect but it seems to be the way to go right now.

Default Re: Routers

i use a Porter Cable router and it's never been broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i use a Porter Cable router and it's never been broken into.
    Ditto.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As a tech guy I was pretty pissed that he said WEP was better than WPA although I know he was just chit chatting for the segment. This can greatly misinform the audience who I would guess are primarily DIYers and wouldnt know any better when they setup a home router.

For the record, WEP should NEVER be used. If your wireless router only supports WEP, buy a new one! WPA is the next secure method of securing your wireless internet connection and even more secure is WPA2.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

You should also change the SSID name from the default router name to something like Private, or FBI Surveillence Van... :P