+ Reply to Thread

Default Corroded recessed soap dish

I would like to replace the old corroded recessed soap dish in my shower. The soap dish is most likely the original to the house which was built in 1959. The existing dish soap dish is chromed (aprox. 6"x 6"), has a plastic soap holder and towel bar. It has no mounting screws like the new models. I am not sure how it was fastened/installed and do not want to damage the surrounding tile when removing it. The other side of wall is standard 1/2" drywall. Could someone help me out on how they were installed back in those days and how to remove it? Are there any new soap dishes available without the two screw mounting system? Thank you!
    Last edited by Midstream57; 01-05-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Default Re: Corroded recessed soap dish

Welcome to the forum.

You'll fare best by taking a few pictures and starting a thread on the John Bridge Tile Forum. When the old timers wake up from their naps, find their glasses and get the computer warmed up for the day, you'll get all the answers you need.

Tell them we sent you.

It's most likely embedded between tiles, which give it the support. A picture would help.

The soap dishes I've seen have a keyhole type of attachment in the back. If that's the case, the tile was installed after the dish was attached. I don't know how it would be removed without taking out some tile.
    Edit: after looking at the photo on the john bridge forum, I take back everything I said.
    Last edited by ed21; 01-05-2014 at 02:12 PM.

I attempted to upload a .jpeg photo, but was unable to? Says it's the wrong type of file?

I did go to the John Bridge Tile forum with same question and was able to add photo's of the soap dish.
    Thanks!