+ Reply to Thread

Default re-wire big chandelier

hello, and thank you for your help.

I have to re-wire an old chandelier but its a big one, 15 light in total.. I know how to do it i just have no idea what wire to use. the chandelier will go to a collector and possibly to his mansion in NY so i need it to be perfect (no fire, burning, ) and will last safely for decades to come. I used a wire that says only " DUPLUX 300v 60.c " not sure if it will do the job..

thank you!!

Default Re: re-wire big chandelier

Quote Originally Posted by sebasjarapa View Post
    hello, and thank you for your help.

I have to re-wire an old chandelier but its a big one, 15 light in total.. I know how to do it i just have no idea what wire to use. the chandelier will go to a collector and possibly to his mansion in NY so i need it to be perfect (no fire, burning, ) and will last safely for decades to come. I used a wire that says only " DUPLUX 300v 60.c " not sure if it will do the job..

thank you!!
    You haven't stated the letter designation of the wire which was used, the ampacity of the lamps or how they were wired or what size circuit breaker will be used to protect the chandelier. I assume it will be on a 120V circuit. Also, are the wire, connectors and sockets UL listed? What is the capacity of the chain or supports? Will it be used in a damp, wet or hazardous location?

All of these factors must be known to wire it properly but even then the entire assembly should be field inspected and labeled to be commercially sold.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thank you for your help. however.... I have no idea what you are talking about. im bona take some pictures and show you, so you can get i better idea to what im up against.

Thank you, ill post soon!!

Wires are rated for more than their size, and that also matters. You need to use components which are at least equal to the originals in all ratings- size, heat, and service conditions. This is usually found on the old wires once you remove them or might be found in the NEC codebook (I'm not sure if it covers internal fixture wiring).

You should also be aware of liability issues here. No matter how perfect the job you do is, if something goes wrong you will be held responsible and unless you are qualified and insured against that, you'd do better to send the fixture to a qualified restorer and let then do the worrying. Regardless, sell the fixture in an "as-is with no warranty" condition attached to the sale.

Rewiring these buggars can be a fiddly business. The only tips I can offer you is that before you remove any wires, solder the new too-long wire to it well so that as the old comes out, the new gets pulled into place. Leave plenty extra on both ends and cut it back later when you see how much you need. A little bit of wire-pulling soap on the new wires will make the job go a whole lot easier.

Phil

For some reason this web site won't let me upload the pictures. Thank you all for the help. Im going to hire a experienced electrician to do the re wire, Unfortunately i live in Colombia and the different kinds of wires here are limited and not safe. I plan to buy from the states the correct wire and have it re wired with that. If any of you would like to help me choose the correct wire i would love to send you the pictures to your e-mail, it would really help.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!