+ Reply to Thread

Default Peeling paint from ceiling

The paint is peeling away from the drywall in the upstairs of our house. It appears that a new coat of pait was added on the original coat which were never primed. We were able to use a putty knife and a heat gun and get down to the drywall fairly easily but the paint is still adhered where there was tape or putty.

We are looking for advice, should we putty and sand, or apply a spray ceiling on or hire someone to texture the ceiling? We are hesitant to do anything like popcorn, which is going out of style. We would like to DIY but we are aware that we might only get 1 shot to get it right.
    Last edited by cpope; 01-01-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: Peeling paint from ceiling

Many factors can make paint peel, high moisture/humidity, poor prep, incompatible paints (latex over oil is the most common one ). If the original paint is sound, then you can go ahead and repaint it, however, you'll want to wash it down with a TSP solution to etch and clean the surface, then you'll want to use a good primer, I'd suggest either Zinsser BIN or Kilz original (not Kilz 2 ). Once you apply two coats of primer, then follow up with two coats of your paint of choice, I'm partial to Kelly Moore and good quality name brands, over the offerings of a big box, but your mileage may vary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Many factors can make paint peel, high moisture/humidity, poor prep, incompatible paints (latex over oil is the most common one ). If the original paint is sound, then you can go ahead and repaint it, however, you'll want to wash it down with a TSP solution to etch and clean the surface, then you'll want to use a good primer, I'd suggest either Zinsser BIN or Kilz original (not Kilz 2 ). Once you apply two coats of primer, then follow up with two coats of your paint of choice, I'm partial to Kelly Moore and good quality name brands, over the offerings of a big box, but your mileage may vary.
    Thanks for the reply, I think the paint peeled due to poor prep. I have tried to attach a picture here but can't seem to. The paint came off easily, down to the drywall, everywhere there wasn't putty. So now, we have a ceiling that has mostly bare drywall with patches of paint over putty'd areas such as nail holes and along seams. I am afraid that the areas with paint (which are 2 paint layers thick) will stand out, even if we prime with a good primer. Are you suggesting the primer will even out the entire ceiling so we wont see ridges once it drys?

Thanks!

Primer will even out things quite nicely, however, it sounds like the spots left with paint will stand out because they're proud of the surface and/or a different texture than the surrounding bare areas. Going by your description, I would be inclined to float out at least the paint spots, if not the whole ceiling, with topping compound to blend them into the rest of the ceiling, then I'd retexture with orange peel or knockdown texture, whatever matches the walls, then I'd apply the primer and paint. If you float the whole ceiling and/or retexture the whole ceiling, then you can get by with Zinsser Bull's Eye 123 primer or a PVA primer. Still do two coats, because the better sealed and more even it is, the less top coat it will take and a better finish will result.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would definitely sand down what you can from the paint that is left, if you want a smooth finish on the ceiling. Once you rough that up and/or get a nice sanded surface, the proper primer should adhere very well and your paint will go on smoothly. Definitely use an oil-based primer and a high-quality latex ceiling paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura at Rather Square View Post
    I would definitely sand down what you can from the paint that is left, if you want a smooth finish on the ceiling. Once you rough that up and/or get a nice sanded surface, the proper primer should adhere very well and your paint will go on smoothly. Definitely use an oil-based primer and a high-quality latex ceiling paint.
    Sanding would be absolute the wrong thing to do, unless you are certain there is no lead in the paint. The OP gave no indication as to the age of the home.

also, sanding may be more work. We normally thin down some drywall mud and float the areas. Its faster and easier. Especially upside down.