+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I tear down plaster walls and replace with drywall?

I recently purchased a house that was built in the 1800s. Most of the house has plaster and lathe walls. The walls are all crumbling and most of the rooms have panelling covering them up. My other concern is insulating, I live in upstate New York it gets very cold, blown in insulating is not a option the house has newer siding on it. Any thought on how to best proceed?

Default Re: Should I tear down plaster walls and replace with drywall?

what kind of budget do you have? you can remove the plaster and lathe, insulate, upgrade electric, etc. that's what i would do. don't put a band aid on it, do it right the first time. if money is an issue you can take your time and do it room by room.

I have a small budget but I want to do things the right way. I plan on doing as much of the work as I can on my own and the help of my two teenagers. I have a good electrician that will come in and slowly update the electrical it badly needs it. So I remove the lath boards? What kind of insulation would be best to use? Anything else I should be concerned about or watch for. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start the first room but I will admit I am a bit lost. So any thoughts or suggested reading is greatly appreciated!

in a nutshell.....

1. cover the floors with a tarp or paper.
    2. remove all trim around windows, doors and base trim, this can be reused if you take it down carefully.
    3. remove all outlet plate covers
    4. i prefer to use a spade shovel to remove the plaster, run it horizontally along the walls and it will come down quickly.
    5. clean up the plaster using 5 gallon buckets or fill a trash barrel no more than half way.
    6. remove the lathe, make sure to save some of it for later if needed.
    7. send in your electrician to update the electrical
    8. insulate the walls, depending on your stud depth i assume it will be either r-13 or r-19
    9. depending on the thickness of the old plaster, it's sometimes easiest to tack the lath you took down back on to the studs. not horizontally like it was but just on the face of the studs to shim it out for the new blueboard.
    10. call in the plasterer, they will hang the blueboard and plaster the walls
    11. reinstall your trim
    12. prime then paint your new walls.

if you need more detail on any of the steps, let us know and i or someone would be happy to help you.

happy new year

Follow the previous recommendations for a successful renovation project.

Don't worry about the money, this is money well spent. Just don't make silly mistakes or changes - mistakes and changes are money down the drain.

The only thing I would change to MLB's recommendations would be to use drywall instead of plaster. It will be easier on the budget.

Thank you so much for all the help! I was leaning more towards the drywall for the budget but also because I can put it up myself. I am curious why take out the trim? I am thinking that will be hard to do and keep it in a good enough condition to reuse. Thanks again!

you have to take out the trim so that you can get all the lathe off and so that the trim will rest nicely and look good on the newly finished walls.

Lightbulb Re: Should I tear down plaster walls and replace with drywall?

Since you won't care about the plaster, you can use a variety of flat pry bars/tools to work the trim off. Take your time and figure out how it's nailed and you should be able to remove the trim with minimal damage. Any holes from nails won't matter since you can fill the holes before painting. Reusing the same holes usually doesn't work since the head often gets pulled through the wood.

Do yourself - and your next owner - a favor and make sure the floors are flat before putting up new drywall.

If you have uneven floors and get them leveled after drywall install, there will be cracking and gaps in the drywall.