+ Reply to Thread

Default Caulking the Bathtub

Hi,

I've been attempting to re-caulk the bathtub in my "new" house for the past couple of weeks. I'm running into a problem, though, with the caulk separating from the tub in places. The only part that needed to be re-caulked is the area between the shower walls (an inserted shower...not tile. Not sure what to call it) and the tub itself. I cannot figure out what is causing the caulk to separate. Below is my process, in detail. Please offer suggestions.

I sc****d off the old caulk with a putty knife and razor knife. There were 3 layers of caulk, the top layer being very hard and brittle. It took just over an hour to get it all off, but I made sure I got it all. I ran the razor knife along the tub and shower area to get any remnants.

I vacuumed the area and allowed it to dry until the next evening, about 20 hours.

I used a caulking gun and caulk for bathrooms and kitchens. The tube of caulk said to let it set for 72 hours before exposing it to water. I waited 82 hours.

Within a couple of days, the caulk had separated from the bathtub in places. So, I stripped it all off again, vacuumed, and let it dry until the next evening. I purchased a different tube of caulk (the kind that doesn't need a gun), and caulked it again. This caulk said to wait 24 hours, so I waited just about 2 days.

Again, it separated. I am now understanding why the previous owners put 3 layers of caulk on the tub. They probably had the same issue.

What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Default Re: Caulking the Bathtub

What caulking (name brands and types) did you use?

The first one was DAP. The second one was ACE Hardware.

Try a product called magic seal trim instead of caulking.

Wash the ares with TSP first- it cuts soap scum better than anything.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Wash the ares with TSP first- it cuts soap scum better than anything.

Phil
    Agreed, the surfaces must be squeaky clean for caulking to hold well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much! I will definitely try it out. I have a kitchen sink to re-caulk, too. Heck, while the caulking gun is out, I might as well just work on the other bathroom shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreen View Post
    Thank you so much! I will definitely try it out. I have a kitchen sink to re-caulk, too. Heck, while the caulking gun is out, I might as well just work on the other bathroom shower.
    Only do one bathroom at a time, you don't want to disable both showers at the same time, for a couple days. It's a real pain not being able to use your bathrooms when you need to.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is right, it's a pain not to be able to use your bathroom when you need to ... unless there's a gas station around the corner.