+ Reply to Thread

Default Tile on Bathroom Wall and Floor

Hi,

The main bathroom in my house (that I just purchased) has 4" square pink tile about half way up all the walls except where the tub/shower are at. On the floor is 1" square and oblong pink tile (a varigation of pink colored tiles). The tile is in good shape...it is just pink. The tub, shower, sink, vanity, toilet, storage cabinet and paint are all white and look fairly new. I just can't get past all the pink tile.

I don't mind having tile half way up the wall in a bathroom and I know that tile work, both removing and re-installing, can be tedious and therefore expensive (I'm not that handy to remove tile). A friend told me that there is a type of paint that you can use to paint over the tile after it is sanded well.

Questions:

1) Have you heard of this type of paint before? If so, what you do you think of it? Am I putting lipstick on a pig?

2) Would I need to remove the floor tile to replace it or can a different type of flooring be placed over it? If a different type of flooring can be placed over it, is one type of flooring better than another?

Thank you!

Default Re: Tile on Bathroom Wall and Floor

Painting tiles is not a good idea IMHO.

Removing them (regardless of the degree of difficulty) and installing new tiles is the way to go.

Does it look bad? Not last? Please describe why your thoughts are that it is bad. Thank you!

All of the above.

I'm old school and for me hard work is merely a challenge. The goal is to do things right in the first place, not looking for shortcuts or to save a few dollars on labor.

In your case, only ripping the old completely and installing new will give you professional results.

Thank you!

i'm with dj on tearing it out and doing it right to make it look like it should. painting tile is definitely putting lipstick on a pig.

but to answer your question, tile can be painted. i've never been impressed with the results but it can be done.

regarding the floor, depending on the condition of it, you may be able to tile right over the existing floor tile which can save you a ton of labor. only thing you will need to do is to extend the toilet flange up with a spacer.