+ Reply to Thread

Default TV show "Renovation Realities"

i know i've commented on these DIY shows before but i just watched an episode of Renovation Realities. some guy and his wife built what he called a "Lodge" out behind his house and almost partly over a pond. it was about the size of a 1-1/2 car garage. first they built the deck then a 3 walled structure over it with the missing wall facing the pond and an open deck. the list of code violations is probably a mile long but the big things that stuck out the most to me were the following.

no proper footings
    wrong size floor joists
    nails only for joist support on posts
    no joist hangers
    dangerous electrical wiring
    improper running of electrical from house to "Lodge", approx 100'-200' away from house
    structure not properly attached to decking

and the list goes on and on and on. this place looks like it could blow away in a 30-40 mph wind gust. it's really frightening to me that people watch these shows and attempt something by themselves that these shows portray as being so simple. i didn't even mention the construction process where there was potential for either of them to get severely hurt with some of the stunts they pulled trying to do things.

i'm all for DIY-ers attempting to build, fix, alter, repair, etc. "BUT" i really think that these shows should stress safety, proper building technique and code compliance.

how about a follow up show, a year or two after the show was originally taped, to show how things are holding up.......or not holding up.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 12-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Default Re: TV show "Renovation Realities"

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i'm all for DIY-ers attempting to build, fix, alter, repair, etc. "BUT" i really think that these shows should stress safety, proper building technique and code compliance
    But that does not get viewers or ratings, knuckle dragging stupidity does. These shows have about as much in common with construction/remodeling, as Go.ld Rush does to go.ld mining, i.e., nothing a damn thing!

Thankfully, we've got TOH and Home Time, both of which stress the very points you mention, proper building and safety techniques, code compliance, etc. Both of these shows have been around a great deal of time, I think that HT is still on, not certain as I do not watch these programs anymore.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 12-30-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I watched that show today too.

They were setting roof trusses when I turned it off. Without lick of cross bracing, I don't see that deck lasting long. Hope their insurance is paid up.

Oh picky, picky, picky!

As an old painting contractor, I must admit that I cringe when I look at how the painting is being done. But at least no one gets killed because of a bad paint job. Although, I from time to time hear of some fool improperly using explosive solvents and paints and blowing the place up!
    Last edited by ordjen; 12-30-2013 at 01:33 AM.

houston, wouldn't a major point be that if something happened, an insurance company might not cover something like that if no permits were pulled? might differ from state to state but i know in massachusetts the homeowner would be out of luck.

Good point.

But if he lies to his doctor about how he got his head crushed......

Kind of like the vid of the private fixed-wing pilot who thought he could fly his new helicopter without instruction- W0W, what a nice crash!" Most things seem so simple and easy, but those in the business know the subtleties involved which create success or failure and those things aren't always readily apparent to casual observers. You either know or you don't know- there's no safe middle ground. So unless you know, don't try it until you do know, and we're here to help folks with that part

If folks still believe what they see on TV or the web without verification, they're headed for a Darwin Award and you can't help people like that- they're genetically predisposed to learning only the hard way

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 12-31-2013 at 08:02 AM.

The major problem - "I can use logic to get myself through this construction project"

1- What looks great on paper usually doesn't work in real life

2- You realllllly have to have done this before

3- Its very easy to get into the high grass

4- No, its not cheaper to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The major problem - "I can use logic to get myself through this construction project"

1- What looks great on paper usually doesn't work in real life

2- You realllllly have to have done this before

3- Its very easy to get into the high grass

4- No, its not cheaper to do it again.
    My neighbor built himself a shed in the backyard. He's an art teacher and artist, so this thing is supposed to be a studio. He did nothing correct from the ground to the roof. Instead of setting piers, he set posts in the corners then used parking curbs for the rest, these curbs just sit on top of the ground. After building the deck he installed the sole plates and a top plates, then he set each stud with a level and measuring tape. Needless to say, none of the framing is plumb, square, straight, or anything else close to being correct. He used masonite faced T1-11 siding and nailed it in the grooves. These are but a few of the things wrong with this structure. Oh, it's also too large to be considered a shed, so technically it required a permit, which he didn't have. On the plus side, it looks great from YOUR backyard! LOL
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!