+ Reply to Thread

Default convert old wood windows to tilt-in

I found a site,on the net, in a central state which makes a conversion
    kit for old wooden double hung sash. It looked like a great product for
    anyone in preservation and wanted the ease of tilting windows inside to
    clean. I'd appreciate any help relocating the site. All I'm finding is replacement
    window kits. I also remember watching a segment of TOH, many years ago,
    somewhere in New England someone had a business where they
    would come to your house and redo the old sash enabling it to tilt in. Always
    thought that was a clever idea.
    Kindly Bud

Default Re: convert old wood windows to tilt-in

Supposedly those tilt-in tracks wear out pretty quickly (according to a guy who restores old windows) and your windows become drafty and wobbly.

But old windows were designed to be cleanable without tilt-in. To clean the outside, raise the bottom sash half way and reach out the window and clean the lower half of the bottom sash. Then lower the top sash to the bottom of the window and clean the top half of the bottom sash. Now repeat the process to clean the top sash.

If your top sashes don't move you probably just need to cut or scrap e some paint off. Be careful when working on them as the paint may be the only thing holding the top sash up (cords rotted) so make sure it can't slam down and break the first time. If the cords are broken consider replacing them with copper-dipped sash chains instead of sash cord. They look classy and should last 100+ years. You can also get steal, brass, bronze maybe other colors.
    Last edited by skintigh; 01-07-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: convert old wood windows to tilt-in

Quote Originally Posted by skintigh View Post

But old windows were designed to be cleanable without tilt-in. To clean the outside, raise the bottom sash half way and reach out the window and clean the lower half of the bottom sash. Then lower the top sash to the bottom of the window and clean the top half of the bottom sash. Now repeat the process to clean the top sash.
    As Homer is fond of saying "Doh"! Makes me think you never actually tried to clean a seven foot high window. Getting a step ladder, hanging half out the window and contorting to clean as much as you can as opposed to tilting the sashes in to clean in relative comfort.
    I hate cleaning windows and the easier it is the better. No comment on any retrofit tracks as I haven't used them.