+ Reply to Thread

Default Pump Lightning arrester

Where does the lightning arrester get connected on my submersable well pump. Should it be on the load side, or the line side of the pressure switch? Thanks for your help, Charlie

Default Re: Pump Lightning arrester

Quote Originally Posted by cjm32 View Post
    Where does the lightning arrester get connected on my submersable well pump. Should it be on the load side, or the line side of the pressure switch? Thanks for your help, Charlie
    I have never heard of anyone putting a lightning arrester on a well pump. I've lost two pumps so far to lightning strikes. I have always been told by well drillers and electricians that it wouldn't work. I do have a whole house surge protector installed, now, after losing electronics and the fridge to incoming surges. It won't protect the well from a hit, though.

Default Re: Pump Lightning arrester

Well pumps are destroyed because of lightning strikes elsewhere in your electrical system or in the Power companies lines that travels back to the well pump through your electrical system. Assuming your electical system is grounded the ground is usually not big enough to handle the voltage. I have three ground rods installed in my Florida home and I intend to carry the same grounding conductor to the well casing to make sure that any strikes are harmlessly dispersed before it gets to the well pump.