+ Reply to Thread

Default Corner bead / drywall question

Hopefully the photo below shows the situation: I've got a couple of layers of drywall sandwiched together at the corner of a doorway. Because of the extra layer, I can't fasten on the corner bead properly - it's not quite wide enough to reach.

There are two ways I can think of to fix this.

Solution #1: Mud and tape up the gap on the left, fasten the corner bead with screws on the right, but just mud on the left. Or maybe I can screw right into the un-papered edge of the drywall at left?

Solution #2: Trim the drywall back to a stud on the left, trim down the sheet at right (just the width of the drywall), and apply a new piece of drywall on the left so that it buts right up to the corner.

I'm of course hoping that I can get away with solution #1, because it's easier. But I don't have enough experience to know how to proceed. All advice appreciated.

Default Re: Corner bead / drywall question

While I prefer something stronger, many finishers will staple corner beads into the drywall alone and it seems to work well enough in homes. Paper-covered beads are available which will offer better adhesion to the mud you'll want to run underneath them in cases like this. That's how I'd approach this situation.

Phil

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Still not sure which way to go though. It feels like a "do it fast" vs. "do it right" situation.

"Do it fast" is never as good as "do it right". In your situation, go with option 2. Yes, more work, but a bit better. Use proper length drywall screws.

if you staple up a mesh corner bead and use plaster instead of joint compound, the corner will be plenty strong.

See if you can find a USG 900 corner reinforcement.
    Than proceed than follow MLB instructions