+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question How long will rubber PVC-to-cast iron adapter last?

Just watched the segment "Underground master bathroom" where Richard uses a rubber adapter to tie the new PVC into the old, existing cast iron drain pipe, all of which will be covered in cement for the buildout. My first thought when I saw this was "Gee, won't the rubber eventually corrode and leak, making for a very expensive & intrusive repair?"

How long can that type of connector reasonably be expected to last?

Default Re: How long will rubber PVC-to-cast iron adapter last?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdorman4 View Post
    Just watched the segment "Underground master bathroom" where Richard uses a rubber adapter to tie the new PVC into the old, existing cast iron drain pipe, all of which will be covered in cement for the buildout. My first thought when I saw this was "Gee, won't the rubber eventually corrode and leak, making for a very expensive & intrusive repair?"

How long can that type of connector reasonably be expected to last?
    The way to think about this is to realize that the joint is under no pressure, and the mass of the iron and the under-slab location means there is no movement to disturb the seal. Generally, under those conditions, rust forms a very good tight seal over time. With the coating of slime, there is little oxygen to degrade the rubber, and it's probably silicone rubber at that. Even cast iron is going to rust through eventually, so if it was halfway through its lifetime, the repair should be good for the remaining 40 years.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

This product is a proven one. It's virtually "lifetime".

I checked the manufacturers website and was quite impressed by the quality of the products and the high number of national and international codes their products meet.

In my 30 years I have never seen one fail or hear of a corroded one.

Excellent -- I wouldn't have expected those answers. It's good to know that should last a long time. Thanks for responding, folks!

Just be sure to tighten the bands according to manufacturer-specified torque values. No, I don't know what the torque specs are.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.