+ Reply to Thread

Question Condensation Problem - Enclosed Patio

I have a condensation problem on the ceiling of my enclosed patio. It's a metal (aluminum) sides, and roof/ceiling, and is not insulated. The ceiling has a series of panels (pans) that interlock. The condensation is really bad. I've had a couple of suggestions presented to me: 1) Spray a vapor-barrier onto the ceiling; or, 2) Install a small non-electric turbine fan in the ceiling. I have no idea whether either of these suggestions would work, and am open to any other ideas.

I'm located in the mid west and only seem to have this problem in the winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Dell; 12-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Default Re: Condensation Problem - Enclosed Patio

You are getting condensation because of the relatively cold surface of the metal roof, especially at night. If the air inside that enclosure is kept at about the same temp and relative humidity as the outside air, you should not have condensation.

I suspect that the enclosure is getting heat from the attached house and also humidity. If there is some provision for allowing the air to exchange with the outside air, i doubt you would be having this problem.

I think installing some insulation over the metal soffit ceiling might help. The idea is to keep the metal from getting below the dew point. Since the patio probably isn't heated condensation in the winter is likely to still happen.

Wthout any insulation, that room must get terribly hot in summer too. Kind of defeats the idea of having a comfortable place to sit outside the house.

Thanks. I'm thinking now that if I put a vent in the upper portion in each of the two side walls, it should equalize the temperature somewhat in the ceiling and eliminate (hopefully) the condensation. It would add cross-ventilation benefit in both winter and summer.