+ Reply to Thread

Default cast iron runoff pipe in basement slow leak - how to repair?

I live in a 100 year old row home which is currently on the market for sale.
    Just noticed that my runoff pipe that carries water from backyard through basement to front (and sits in concrete in front of my cast iron waste pipe) has a slow leak. Plumbers never showed up on Friday to look at it.

I chiseled away the soft eroded remains of the basement wall (cement/stone?--whatever they used back then) in front of the pipe and my sense for a quick fix is to repair with some type of water resistant cement and call it a day. Most of the material around the pipe appears sound, except the part that has been subject to the seepage. I know this is not the correct fix but I cannot spent $2000 tearing out and replacing the entire pipe at this point.

The other option is to get PVC and redirect the pipe but I would rather not get into all that.

Is the cement option even viable? The breach is about 3 inches in some places, 1 inch in others, 2 inches deep and 10 feet long. Not all of that is leaking; it's only leaking in a small 5 inch section from what I can tell.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: cast iron runoff pipe in basement slow leak - how to repair?

Without seeing what you got there: I'd cut the area with holes out, then install a rubber coupling made for CI, or add a new piece of CI with two couplings. Then you'll be able to call it a day.

If you ever done pvc sprinkler leak repair - this is similar.

If you want to do it this way, learn how to cut CI by watching it on youtube.

Default Re: cast iron runoff pipe in basement slow leak - how to repair?

BTW, plumbers won't show up, because a small job like this is not worth their gas on their V-8 vans.