+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ant hills

Unhappy Ant hills

We live in eastern PA. The area is mostly clay. Ants around our yard have been extra busy in the last two years. They are constantly making ant hills and excavating so much dirt that in one area of our law a 1 x 2 foot area has been totally covered in dirt! These ant are black; not especially large; no wings. Why are these ants doing this and how can I encourage them to do it somewhere else! I've read of baits that you can try, but baits never talk about how long you need to offer it to see results. I just want these ant to stop ruining my lawn and gardens. Thanks!

Default Re: Ant hills

Personally I would leave them alone. Ants do far much more good than harm. Unless of course the are fire ants.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the quick reply. I must admit, I couldn't think of what "good" ants do. And I was hoping for a different answer as well! In any case, for anyone else having problems with ants, I did find this: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=567

And here's the good that ants do: "Ants in the house can be VERY beneficial, preying on flea larvae, silverfish and clothes moths. Outdoors, they fight a much more important foe—termites, their natural enemies. A yard full of anthills is a very effective barrier to termite invasion."

They are also required for some flowers to open their blooms.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I could do without them in my yard or house.
    Sevin dust or permethrin on the hill do the trick.
    Diazinon was my favorite, but it's no longer available.