+ Reply to Thread

Default How much wall to demo for new framing?

I'm working on rearranging closets in two adjacent kids rooms equalize the rooms and closets. I'm trying to decide between filling in the existing openings (floor to header) and surgically adding a header cutting out the opening in the existing wall and mostly avoid any ceiling drywall work and minimal demolition or if I should remove the existing walls, floor to ceiling, and rebuild them entirely. The latter is more demolition, more debris, and impacts the ceiling drywall (by removing drywall all the way to the corner joint).

I can't seem to upload images via the forum tools anymore (used to work), so here is an external link to the image:
    http://dvhart.com/darren/files/kids_rooms_closets.png

The shared wall had a 7 foot closet in one room and a 4 foot closet in the other. I'm rearranging it by adding a new closet in the larger room, then splitting up the existing closet wall to have a 2 foot bookshelf in each room, a 6 foot closet, and a 3 foot desk for the smaller room.

Is there a best practice to follow here?

Default Re: How much wall to demo for new framing?

If we want to avoid messing with the ceiling drywall texture, we cut the wall drywall 2 inches below the ceiling height.

You can cut the wall studs (which become cripple studs) and the height so they land on the new header. Generally you have a 4 hour window to get the new header in place before enough sagging starts. If you envision this taking longer, or there may be a work stoppage due to children or having a life, then build temporary walls to take the weight.

If the wall between the bedrooms isn't load bearing then you can take as long as you want, then push the sagging ceiling back up as you go along.

Great tip, thank you! In the case of the existing opening that I'm closing in, is there a compelling reason to do something beyond building a simple frame that fits underneath the existing header? These are all non-load-bearing walls.

Quote Originally Posted by dvhart View Post
    Great tip, thank you! In the case of the existing opening that I'm closing in, is there a compelling reason to do something beyond building a simple frame that fits underneath the existing header? These are all non-load-bearing walls.
    To fill in an opening, you simply frame it as you were framing a wall. If there's a header, you frame it floor to header: sill plate on the bottom, studs 16 oc straight into the header. You can also add electrical outlets if you need any.

It gets framed the same as if its load bearing or not. Tha is the sign of decent craftsmanship. The only thing you save is carrying the load from above.

Thanks all. My main question was whether or not to remove the headers before closing in the existing opening. Sounds like I can just fill it in with a sole and top plate and the 16OC studs. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dvhart View Post
    Thanks all. My main question was whether or not to remove the headers before closing in the existing opening. Sounds like I can just fill it in with a sole and top plate and the 16OC studs. Thanks!
    When you abandon an opening, yes, just fill in with studs and plates. When you create new openings, bearing walls must have a header of an appropriate size for the opening. Non-bearing walls you can simply frame the header, you don't need to install a beam.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!