+ Reply to Thread

Default Leveling a damaged Vinyl Composite Tile floor in order to paint it.

Hi guys,

This is my first post so excuse any breaches of etiquette.

I am planning to paint over a Vinyl Composite Tile floor (you know, the commercial sometimes asbestos containing stuff that is everywhere). The existing floor is on a wooden subfloor and has two layers of vinyl tile on top. Some areas of tile are cracked or missing and there is also a little subfloor flex in these areas. I am trying to decide between the following two courses of action but am not sure about what products are out there:

1. Replace the damaged vinyl tiles with two layers of new tiles and try to get the thickness as close as possible

or

2. Remove the damaged tile, repair and reinforce wood subfloor and level subflooring with some kind of epoxy or thinset.

Question: Does anyone know of a product that can be applied to level a wooden/concrete/vinyl tile transitions in thin layers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. p.s. the two layers of tile are over 1/8th of an inch.

Default Re: Leveling a damaged Vinyl Composite Tile floor in order to paint it.

To get a feather finish there is a product called "Feather Finish" made by Henry and available in the linoleum section of home burrito.

Why would you purposely try to patch a floor that is beyond it's useful life? I would recommend tearing it all out, down to the subfloor, repair any subfloor damage, install new underlayment, then install new vinyl (solid surface, not tile ). None of this is particularly difficult and you will have repaired the floor properly, not just put a bandaid patch on which will stick out like a sore thumb.

As for the presence of asbestos, you can take samples in for testing (it's usually in the glue ), then decide what to do. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it, just use care as you remove the layers of flooring.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The way you describe your floor, I agree with spruce: do it right the first time.

normally the asbestos tiles were 9 inches by 9 inches with the safe ones being 12x12's

Thanks for the recommendation on the Henry product. I think I will look into it. I am aware that this type of repair is far from ideal but sometimes doing a remodel on a barebones budget is the only way that it will get done. That being said you guys made me think twice about taking this route.

For an average sized kitchen, odds are, if you can do the work yourself, you can install new sheet vinyl for under $200. Doing things right is not necessarily expensive, doing things wrong is ALWAYS more expensive. Betcha if you do the demo and new underlayment and hire the vinyl install that you can still stay under $500.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!