+ Reply to Thread

Thread: brick edge

Default brick edge

I want to install a brick edge around my house to finish the landscaping. I have noticed several houses with a regular brick placed short ways set at an angle. I can't find instructions on how to install these at the correct angle and how to make them stay. Some of them don't look the greatest and I figure they are not installed correctly. How do I install these and make them stay?

Default Re: brick edge

try using the techniques described in the This Old House article 'A Better Driveway Border', http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...060634,00.html
    a solid base is necessary to keep them from moving.

Cut the first brick in the row diagonally to get the angle you want, then lay subsequent bricks on top of the first.

Default Re: brick edge

If they don't look so great I am guessing they didn't have enough of the brick set below grade and/or didn't bed them in cement. The link to Roger's Belgium block project shows how to prepare teh bed and use the cement.

The angle is pretty much personal preference. Instead of cutting the first brick, I would simply bury a half brick below grade supporting the first angled brick that is seen. To adjust the angle, simply move this half brick so the first "seen" brick catches it higher or lower on the long side.