+ Reply to Thread

Default Lights Going On and Off

I own a mobile home and one of the kitchen lights started going out first. It would blink on and off and then stay off for a while then come back on and so forth. Then about 5 months later the light above the stove did the same thing. Now that one doesn't come on at all. Then about a month after that happen the light above the kitchen sink started going out. What do I do? How do I fix it? It is driving me crazy b/c I am now down to one light in the kitchen.

Default Re: Lights Going On and Off

I would start by checking connections in the light fixtures , switch boxes and breaker panel . You didn't buy any of those
    " bargain " light bulbs from the Dollar Store , did you ? You know , the ones made in Yugoslavia ?

Usually the neutral wire will make youur lights go crazy. Check all connections.

The lights may be wired off of the outlets, besure to check outlets that are on the same circuit. Make sure the wires are on the screws and not just stuck in the friction connections. Aloose connection on either the hot or neutral can case this problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How old is the mobile home? Many of the older ones were wired with aluminum wire. This wire over time can oxidize where the connections are made unless an anti-oxidizer is used on the connections. When the wire oxidizes it can start heating up because there is less good wire making contact to carry the current needed for whatever is being used. This speeds up the oxididation process.

Quote Originally Posted by dbelcher View Post
    How old is the mobile home? Many of the older ones were wired with aluminum wire. This wire over time can oxidize where the connections are made unless an anti-oxidizer is used on the connections. When the wire oxidizes it can start heating up because there is less good wire making contact to carry the current needed for whatever is being used. This speeds up the oxididation process.
    Yep ... good point about aluminum wiring.
    Here is a link regarding issues with aluminum wiring :http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/516.pdf

I have seen cases where aluminum wire exists and the switches and recpetacles have been changed with those that are to be used for copper only... not a good thing.