+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Windows - Metal ribbon sash cord

We've recently bought an old house and I want to get the windows in better working order. I see lots of advice on how what to do with old pulley/weight systems, but our windows don't have those.

Our windows have what looks like a metal ribbon that extends up from the bottom sash in the track to the upper frame. I am trying to figure out what exactly these are called. It's hard to search for advice when I do not know the terminology. Unfortunately I cannot provide a picture as I'm an hour away from the house.

If anyone knows what these are called or can provide a link to discussions on them, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Default Re: Old Windows - Metal ribbon sash cord

They are "tape balances". there were two brands, Caldwell and Pullman. There is still a co. in Hagerstown MD that sells them. think it's Blaine Window Hardware, but I'm not sure; too lazy to google it for you.Sorry.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thank you. That's what I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    They are "tape balances". there were two brands, Caldwell and Pullman. There is still a co. in Hagerstown MD that sells them. think it's Blaine Window Hardware, but I'm not sure; too lazy to google it for you.Sorry.
    Casey
    Thanks for sharing this! I've been wondering such kind moreover just cant get to figure out coz its a vintage style.

Pete

Be careful around the 'tapes', as some will have wear spots that are as sharp as a knife. If the egde looks eroded, it will be very sharp!

Phil

They may be "upgrades" to original weight and pulley systems, if so the weight is probably still in the frame. The springs have a limited lifespan, returning them to weights, pulleys and sash chains could give you centuries of use. I've been slowly restoring all the windows in my house. It's dirty, but very rewarding when they work good as new.