+ Reply to Thread

Default Hanging planters from soffits

I want to hang a planter (with flowers) from our soffit. How do I determine where the best place to do this is? I'm assuming I need to find the corner of a truss or something. Thanks.

Default Re: Hanging planters from soffits

chances are that you can see a nail or screw through the paint on the soffit where it screws into the rafter tail. once you find one you can find them all, probably 16" or 24" on center. then screw your hook into one of the rafter tails through the soffit and you're good to go.

Well, I ended up prying back a piece of the vinyl from the soffit and felt around and found what appeared to be plywood. So I got an eyehook that was long enough, drilled a hole, screwed the eyehook in, and voila. Works perfect and seems very sturdy.

For small plants this may be enough, but it's best to screw into the framing members which should be either 16 or 24 inches apart through the entire run. You're going to need that better support with heavier plants! You may have to snap out a few panels to find that framing- look for lines of nails in the plywood perpendicular to the house, then drive a nail 16 inches away to see what you hit. If there's just plywood there, try 24 inches from the first one and you should hit framing.

I don't want you to see your plants destroyed from falling!

Phil

Katiesommer - If you your plywood is in good shape and your plants are not too heavy I would just screw directly into the plywood. If you think your planters are a little heavy get a clip from your local hardware store that folds out once you screw it into your plywood. The clip will help keep it secure from falling.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Katiesommer - If you your plywood is in good shape and your plants are not too heavy I would just screw directly into the plywood. If you think your planters are a little heavy get a clip from your local hardware store that folds out once you screw it into your plywood. The clip will help keep it secure from falling.

-Steve
    We have designed 2 products that are meant to solve this problem without having to use tools or drill into the exterior of a home. Check out soffithanger .com. Might help....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Filazek View Post
    We have designed 2 products that are meant to solve this problem without having to use tools or drill into the exterior of a home. Check out soffithanger .com. Might help....
    This is great - for light weight items.

But for a planter, it is smarter to drill into a framing member!

It is never a good idea to place any load in a place which was not designed for it to be carried. I can tell you from experience that the carpenters did not intend their nailing of the soffit to carry much more than the soffit material itself, and that neither was soffit designed to be used in this manner, so no matter what kind of hanger you use if it doesn't directly transfer the load to framing members, you're asking for trouble. You may get by with a light load but the average hanging planter soaked with rain is pretty heavy and pushing the limits- especially if 3/8" plywood was used for the soffit as it commonly is.

Phil