+ Reply to Thread

Default concrete basement sink - leaking drain

I have a double concrete utility sink in my basement. I love the size and want to keep the sink however the drain leaks when I use the sink. I used a wire brush to get the rust and build up off of the bottom of the drain and found the drain to be very corroded. The drain is embedded in the concrete tub so I do not know how to install or attach a new drain fitting. Also the pipe that the drain connects into goes directly into the concrete floor and is now moving up/down and side to side (now that I got it disconnected from the sink drain.)
    So the question is how to fit a new drain into the concrete sink and is it a problem (if so how to fix it) that the floor pipe can move as much as it does?

I can't figure out how to upload pictures but if you search old cement utility sink on google images you'll find pictures of what I am dealing with.

Default Re: concrete basement sink - leaking drain

To upload a photo: upload it to a host like photobucket.com then post your link here.

The sink drain has two parts: inside part screws into the part under the sink. You need some experience in plumbing to replace the drain. If you can't un-do it, call a plumber.

I tried to google for a concrete laundry sink and saw one on ebay, they want $575 for it. Anyway, it appears that the diameter of the drain is smaller that the typical kitchen sink drain. If so, one way to fix this would be to get a diamond or carbide hole saw used to make the drain hole for concrete kitchen sinks and then use a special grinding tool to make the necessary recess around the hole and then install a regular kitchen basket drain.

The problem with this approach is the cost of the tools that you will only use one time. Your best bet for taking this approach would be to find someone in your area that makes custom concrete and stoneware sinks for kitchen and bath. These are gaining in popularity with high end houses. It may be cheaper than buying the necessary tools. You may save some money on this if you remove the sink and take it to the shop where this will be done.

edit: I found a link to someone else with the same problem so I see that my advice above will not be as simple as I thought it would be, but I still think it is doable, but the sink will have to be removed and turned upside down. Here is the link:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/old-ce...ty-sink-36645/

With the sink upside down, the whole drain can be ground out with an angle grinder. Then the holes can be drilled as I suggested. Then put a tube or something the size of the holes in and fill in around the old section of the drain so that you now have two straight through drain holes like a typical double basin sink would have. When the cement hardens around the tubes, remove them and install two basket drains, connect them with standard undersink plumbing, including a P trap and then connect to the drain.

If you have a P-trap in the floor, then you can skip the one under the sink. Adding a P-trap under the sink may also require you to install a vent tube.

A slight variation on this would be, if the bottom of the sink is flat and not slopped to the existing drain, then just fill in the existing drain with cement and drill the new drains in the center of each basin.
    Last edited by keith3267; 12-15-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add stuff

The simplest answer to your question would be to hire a professional plumber or foundation repair company to do a proper inspection to see if the pipe has been damaged in any way that would lead to water leaks under the concrete. That can lead to some serious problems down the road.

If you are someone you know is handy enough, you could do the inpsection yourself, but be forewarned, it's not going to be a fun job. Here's a link (not to my website) that gives pretty good instructions on how to check for yourself . If you feel that it's over the top, I'd recommend calling a few plumbers or basement companies near you and find one that gives a free inspection.

Best of luck to you!