+ Reply to Thread

Default Marble in Bathroom

The calk between the marble counter and wall has developed mold in my bathroom. I have been unable to remove the mold as the products offered, like bleach, will ruin the marble and calk removal tools and brushes I've tried scratch the marble. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: Marble in Bathroom

Your only option is to remove the damaged caulk, treat the area (try peroxide ) and apply new caulk. Work slow and carefully not to damage the marble.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Latex caulk is mold food. You'll fare best with 100% silicone after you take some time to carefully cut out as much of the latex caulk as possible.

Here is a handy silicone caulking tutorial some really handsome guy wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Latex caulk is mold food. You'll fare best with 100% silicone after you take some time to carefully cut out as much of the latex caulk as possible.

Here is a handy silicone caulking tutorial some really handsome guy wrote.
    Houston,

Mold grows on silicone just as fast. If the conditions for mold are good, it will grow everywhere.

As we said before, silicone is fine, UNTIL it's time to remove it.

"Shields up Scotty. It looks like the silicone and latex based life-forms are about to begin shooting at each other again"

We did a house a few years back where the owner wanted a nice, shiny bathroom floor of polished marble tile. He would not be convinced that it was going to get scratched no matter how careful everyone was. It had to be replaced twice during construction over scratching. The next-to-last person on the job was me, re-installing baseboard and shoe molding. I left no scratches, nor did the painter who came behind me. Same floor now? Scratched and not looking so good- done by owners who swears that they couldn't have caused it. What I'm getting at is this:

There are places and times for everything, and there are places where polished marble is not a good idea, even when it is possible to do it. You're finding this out now. Choose your caulking and do the best you can not to damage the marble- there's nothing else you can do. Extreme care will allow mechanical removal of the old caulking with minimal damage. I didn't say no damage, for the material is simply not as good for this purpose as it needs to be and it will be tough to do this repair totally damage-free for even the best of us. If this is not satisfactory to you them plan on some parts replacement every time mold appears.

Phil

Try mixing 3 parts Borax laundry powder with 2 parts Boric Acid in some hot water and test on the marble in an inconspicuous place, if it doesn't cause any discoloration, then paint it on the caulk, do not rinse off afterward. It will kill the mold but you will have reapply frequently to keep the mold from coming back.

Ethylene Glycol (anti freeze) will also kill mold, but again, test in an inconspicuous place and reapply frequently, anti freeze is more toxic though.

As for removing the caulk, try using a pick tool that you can get from any autoparts store. A set of pick tools is pretty cheap and because only the point is sharp, it should not damage the marble.

When you re-caulk, get a closed cell foam rope to fill the gap first, then put a very thin coat of caulk over it so if you need to remove it in the future, it will be a lot easier. Look for a caulk that is made for showers that blends with grout. These caulks have a mold inhibitor built into them.