+ Reply to Thread

Default How to prevent pavers from moving out of place

When installing pavers, whats the best way of preventing them from moving out of place once you finish installation? I know that laying a good foundation is important but i need advice on exactly how to get it done. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How to prevent pavers from moving out of place

We use the same pavers (bricks) set on edge (sailor or soldier) in a bed of concrete.

Since the concrete is 3-4 inches below and to each side, the row of bricks makes a nice firm edging that will neve move, unlike plastic or metal.

Once the edges are set, fill in the center with appropriate, compacted fill. My personal favorite is slate chips, which are much like flat pieces of sand. It compacts very very well.

I'm old school, and I used to use concrete too. But nowadays they use plastic edge supports more and more. They make sense and stop the pavers from moving, which is all you want.

I've seen those plastic edges fail, and get chewed up by lawn edging equipment. Plus they are very temperature sensitive. They grow in the heat and shrink in the cold.

Go old school masonry

The fact is that properly placed concrete holds pavers in place without any troubles. I have never had any movements with concrete edging. It's a little more work and takes a little more time, but worth it.