+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Expanding and Altering Layout of 60's ranch in NE

Hello!

I need some guidance. My husband and I own a 1965 1,200 sq ft ranch in Millbury, MA. We now have 2 children and barely fit. Our house is not only small, but a "home owners special". In any case, we are looking to make our home more of an open floor plan. However, that requires some work with the load baring wall and altering the height of the roof. Is it possible to do this alteration, change the height of the roof, and still leave opportunity for us to build a second floor years from now?

Thanks!

Michelle

Default Re: Expanding and Altering Layout of 60's ranch in NE

You need to consult a local architect or two.

Generally speaking it's possible. Economically? we don't know.

Economically, your best course to to put every spare dollar into paying off the mortgage as soon as possible, then sell this house and buy a larger on using all proceeds from the sale of this one as a big down payment.

there's two people you should talk to about this. one, as dj said, is an architect to see what the possibilities are. the second is a realtor that know's your area. you want to fine out what your house will sell for as is, what it will sell for with your phase I remodeling, and what it will sell for if you add a second story. then the architect can give you ball park prices for both remodels and then you'll have a good idea as to where you will stand afte each project is complete. you might be in great shape or you might be in way over your head.

anything can be done with enough money but you want to see if it's smart to make your changes and stay there or if it's smarter to sell and buy a bigger house.