+ Reply to Thread

Default Rain penetration between brick and foundation

My family and I just moved into my grandparents old farmhouse. It was a prefab built in 1966 I believe. The problem we are having is when the wind blows the rain at an angle, which happens often out here in farm country the rain will penetrate where the brick meets the foundation and leaks into the basement. There is not a rubber membrane behind the brick hanging over the foundation like current houses have. My question is what should I do to prevent the rain from penetrating between the brick and foundation and leaking into the basement. Thanks

Default Re: Rain penetration between brick and foundation

We need to see some photos, to see how wide is the gap between the bricks and the foundation. We also don't know how well your foundation is water proofed.

Generally: if you have a hole in the roof - you fill it. If you have a hole in your tooth - you fill it. You get the idea.

Does the brick sit on top of the foundation walls? If that is the case, this could be very difficult to solve. The only thing I can think to do would be to put a rain cap of some kind over the weep holes, but you cannot block the weep holes or it will only get worse.

What also might be happening is the wind driven rain is penetrating the brick and running down the back side. If there are no weep holes the water could back up into the basement.

Is this a relatively hard, non-porous face brick, or a "common" brick? What happens when a glass of water is thrown on the surface of the brick? Does it immediately get absorbed into the brick? If so, perhaps sealing of the brick is in order.

Wind driven rain will penetrate brick and more so the mortar joints. The BIA (brick institute of America) generally doesn't recommend sealing brick, but I've known of instances where it was done and helped.

I would agree that a "sealer" that also is a vapor barrier would not be a great idea. However, a product that repells water, yet lets vapor pass on through would have to be beneficial. Keep the brick from getting saturated from rain water, yet allow it to breathe and rapidly dry out from such water as does get through and also allow the house envelope to breathe.

I remember painting a relatively new brick house years ago that had a porous type brick. The builder had used wood windows that were abutting the brick. Worse yet, the sills were of brick. Many of the windows had rotted sills and brick molding ( I hate finger jointed trim lumber!). It occurred to me that some poor snook homeowner was going to have to replace every window in this house which had over 60 openings. This would be a really big bill. The owner, a long time customer of mine, wisely decided to move and let it be someone else's problem.