+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do I have 3 sump pumps??

Moved to a new house and have a question, I have 2 sump pumps in my basement.. one in the middle and one in a crawl space, and another outside the house about 2 feet away. Is all this necessary, it seems like overkill to me, but I know very little about them.

Default Re: Why do I have 3 sump pumps??

your home inspector should have gone over that with you. it's hard to say without assessing the situation but i wouldn't complain. 3 is better than 2.

I suspect that the previous owner had floods with just 1 pump, and that's why he decided to have multiple pumps.

I trust you have a decent flood insurance policy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Z View Post
    Moved to a new house and have a question, I have 2 sump pumps in my basement.. one in the middle and one in a crawl space, and another outside the house about 2 feet away. Is all this necessary, it seems like overkill to me, but I know very little about them.
    I doubt they would be there without need, but with that many and one outside too, I'd want to know where all the water was coming from and what (if anything) had been done to keep it outside and away the house where it belongs. And if groundwater was so much of an issue that it couldn't be mitigated from the outside, I'm not sure I'd want to build there in the mud. Sump pumps should be used for extreme cases of excess water, not as a way to create a dry area all by themself. Kind of like a bilge pump in a boat not being meant to compensate for a hole in the hull.

Phil

Thanks for the replies, the reason I asked this question: 1) never had a sump pump before and 2) I bought the house from an older lady and I'm not sure if she had just been suckered into all these pumps because someone told her she needed them... I don't live in a flood plain and I have dug into the backyard and trust me it is not mud, more like concrete...AND as far as the home inspector goes he was worthless, complete waste of money

why don't you try calling the previous owner and ask her why, when and who did the installation. there might be a very good reason, maybe not.......but having them is better than not having them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Z View Post
    ...AND as far as the home inspector goes he was worthless, complete waste of money
    In my genteel State, Home Inspectors have to be licensed and insured, and there is a method in place which handles the bad ones. You might not get your money back, but in reporting him you'll hopefully save the next poor soul from wasting their money too.

Phil

Thanks for the info: As for asking the previous homeowner, she is elderly and her memory is not so good..
    And I'll look into the home inspector a little more. Thanks again, Ryan

Then talk with the neighbors, they may have a handle on what was happening, particularly the neighbors of her similar age.