+ Reply to Thread

Default Garland restaurant stove in janfeb2014 issue

I was wondering about clearances on a restaurant stove. It's been my experience that unless it's a zero clearance there should be minimum 2" spacing on the sides and back, and thought should be put to having flammable (wood) surfaces near the surface burners. The installation shown in this article(before and after:kitchen) to me shows an improper and potentially dangerous condition. The stove is set tight to the side cabinets and probably the back and side cabinets close to the surface burners. Restaurant stoves(commercial) have no insulation to protect from fire on the ovens and the surface burners are high BTU and with a pot over them can push their flames out to the side.
    I'm surprised the local building department allowed this installation as shown. If steps weren't taken to prevent fire the owner maybe remodeling again. Also I'm surprised your people(this old house staff) didn't pick up on this.

Default Re: Garland restaurant stove in janfeb2014 issue

I didn't see the article, but I looked at Garland's clearance instructions, and they call for 3" side clearance.

Default Re: Garland restaurant stove in janfeb2014 issue

I don't get the magazine (shame on me!) but I know that unless you are certain that what you're doing is OK, then you'd better not do it. In this case someone only thought they knew what they were doing unless they had written permission from the stove manufacturer to do this type of install. In the process they may have performed a magic-trick: turning a nice stove into a house-sized pile of ashes.

The kitchen designer (whoever that was) should be paying to remedy the situation to the home-owners satisfaction, no matter the cost. But guess who the blame (and liabilities) will go to? Hint: It begins with "Contractor" because we are required to have the deep insurance pockets. Even when it's not our work that is the problem, we get the blame because we were supposed to catch it before it happened. One of my most used words on a jobsite is 'idiot' because there are so many of them involved. Stay within your skill-set. If you don't know what you're doing then don't do it. Like old Clint said, "A man's gotta know his limitations" and I know mine.

Phil