+ Reply to Thread

Default Install Pocket Door

what is the easiest pocket door to install??

Default Re: Install Pocket Door

In my experience, they're all about the same, as far as difficulty level. Every brand may have some special nuances, but they're all basically the same.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Everything is easy to install - when you know how.

If you are inexperienced, don't risk ruining the door, the frame and the hardware. Hire somebody.

We prefer to install the door complete, including trim so we know the door operates plumb in the open and closed positions before closing up the drywall.

You may also find it easier to paint the door before installation.

I prefer the 1500 series Johnson hardware with most doors, based on the weight of the door. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. But the really important part is the door jamb, and you'll have to make that yourself either from scratch or by ripping down parts of a pre-made cased-opening jamb kit. A few hints:

Get the header perfectly level, and the metal studs as perfectly plumb and parallel as possible. Hang the door and adjust it to fit parallel to them, then adjust the stop side of the jamb to work with the door where it's at. Doing it this way gets a perfect fit every time and compensates for anything not being perfectly plumb or level.

I like to mount the door guides between the jamb and casing to hide them. That takes a little inletting but results in a nicer looking job and helps keep careless feet from knocking the guides off.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I like to mount the door guides between the jamb and casing to hide them. That takes a little inletting but results in a nicer looking job and helps keep careless feet from knocking the guides off.
    And shows craftsmanship

Good point Phil