+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Raised Bed vegetable garden

What is the best material to use to construct the raised bed. Standard lumber will rot after 5 years and I'm concerned about composites.

Default Re: Raised Bed vegetable garden

Redwood, cedar, cyprus and teak are all naturally rot resistant.

Personally I've used pressure treated landscape timbers and they lasted about 12 years before the elements got to them, about the same amount of time for redwood... for comparison plain ol' construction grade 2x12's painted with a couple of coats of latex paint have held up over 15 years and still look good.

You are right to want to stay clear of chemically treated materials, and while composites are pretty stable and would last indefinitely, they are not without their leaching components as well.

For all natural, as libcarp suggests, redwood, and other high tannin woods are naturally rot resistant and have a decent longevity in direct contact with the earth. I've got two made from 2x12 douglas fir that are holding up fine (it's what I had on hand ).

If you want something more permanent, you may want to look into pouring cement or using cinder block or retaining wall block. Cement products will last indefinitely and in the case of the latter two, can be enlarged, reconfigured, or removed with very little effort.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You might be a redneck if.....

You use old tires as raised bed containers laid out in the shape of a number "3".....

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    You might be a redneck if.....

You use old tires as raised bed containers laid out in the shape of a number "3".....

There's no "maybe" about it. The proof would be the buick skylark (that the tires came off of ) in the front yard being used as a planter and chicken coop!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!